Unable to change Hangouts notification sounds, and yes storage access is allowed. Any help?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I tried restart/clearing data/cache/force stop, and nothing works. I need to have different sounds for work and personal so i can react quickly to work stuff.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Where does the process seem to break down? When you go to the Hangouts menu to change the default notification tone, do you get a list of all available tones? When you select a tone, does it play a sample for you? After you select the tone, does it show as the default tone in the menu?

CrisMind

Oct 24, 2017
Visit site
I try both in general settings as well as individual messages/groups. It opens, shows the list of available sounds, and plays a sample. I select one and click set notification tone, the list closes, and it's still shows the default for sound. Doesn't change

Last edited:

rpwl

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I have a similar problem. and I also gave Hangouts all 7 permissions on Android 7.0. In Hangouts, I changed the "Incoming calls" "Sound" to a ringtone I desire for junk calls (those calls from people not in my Contacts). I then went to the SMS conversation for a particular Contact, and changed the "Call ringtone" to a ringtone different from the ringtone I use for junk calls. That ringtone for the Contact played fine when I chose it, and the name of the ringtone shows written under "Call ringtone" in the Options menu for that Contact. However, whenever that Contact calls, I get the ringtone for junk calls, not the ringtone shown as the one for that Contact. Is there a way to make Hangouts actually use the ringtone set for a specific Contact? It should be noted that my contacts don't use Hangouts to call me, they just use a regular phone dial out, so maybe if they were using Hangouts it would work. It should also be noted that when I choose a Contact-specific ringtone in Contacts for my carrier phone number (rather than my Google Voice number for Hangouts), that Contact-specific ringtone works fine (it doesn't use the ringtone it would use had I not chosen a different one for that Contact.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez