Why does my Samsung Tablet S2 display a weird grey image on wake up?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

After I unlock my tablet, every time I try to wake it the first time it displays a grey image with random coloured dots, sometimes a black vertical line (from portrait perspective). If I then lock then unlock the tablet, the screen displays normally (sometimes it takes a few more tries before screen displays normally).

I know the system is displaying fine as I can take a screenshot whilst in the corrupt screen state and the image is fine.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The screen is RAM, and if there's random data in that part of RAM, you'll get a random pattern on the screen. As for why it happens, no idea. My Note 3, with SafeStrap, sometimes shows a ghost image of SafeStrap when the screen first wakes up, usually it doesn't. It's nothing to worry about, though. (Mine's been doing it for about 4 years now.) The "grey ghost" goes away as soon as there's something for the phone to display, like your home screen.

Raving Rabbit

Dec 16, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for your contribution Rukbat. This is not a ghost image I'm describing. Even if I unlock the tablet and press the home button the screen remains a static grey mess. I can even do a screen grab and the screen grab looks fine (i.e. the normal interface), the interface itself is displaying fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty