pop on chrome saying virus has been detected in the android system

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I was browsing through a website for watching online movies on my tab when I was redirected to another site and a pop up came saying warning! that the android 4.4 or something had been infected with virus and to not close this window .It said my personal data like sim photos and files would be affected in the next 4 mins.I didn't press anything and then I was advised to download uc browser from the app store which I also didn't do .I uninstalled chrome just in case.Should I be worried? And would I have to reset my tab , erase data or something?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I was browsing through a website for watching online movies on my tab when I was redirected to another site and a pop up came saying warning! that the android 4.4 or something had been infected with virus and to not close this window .It said my personal data like sim photos and files would be affected in the next 4 mins.I didn't press anything and then I was advised to download uc browser from the app store which I also didn't do .I uninstalled chrome just in case.Should I be worried? And would I have to reset my tab , erase data or something?

It's just a spam advertisement.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
From XDA:

One of these major annoyances happens when someone visits a website and then an unexpected redirect takes place without the user consenting to anything, and in some instances before the user can even react to it.

Not only can this be annoying, but it can also be malicious as it could initiate a download for a piece of malware.

This typically happens with 3rd-party iframes, and it will be blocked in Chrome 64

More....
https://www.xda-developers.com/chrome-crakc-down-page-redirects/