Wifi stuck in “Obtaining IP address”, but connects in another area

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

When I am at my desk at work the Wifi does not connect to my phone and I get stuck looping in "obtaining IP address". However if I step away from my desk to another part of the building, my phone connects no problem. I noticed that if I download a large file somewhere else and get back to my desk, my phone stays connected (although at a lower signal which is fine) until the download is finished, and then switches back to "obtaining IP address". This being a work environment I don't have access to any of the routers. Is there anyway I can force my phone to connect to the router in the other part of the building? thanks.

Some other notes. I am using a Oneplus 5. I have tried changing to a static IP, the same IP that works when my phone actually connects somewhere else in the building, but the phones says "connected, no internet".

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If the routers are set up so that they all show the same SSID (the same connection name), you'll only see one, and if you're in a weak signal area, you can't connect. If they're set up with different SSIDs (it doesn't sound as if they are), you could choose one of the other ones. (But then you can't maintain your connection walking from one part of the building to another.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress