Google Search Bar not showing

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have HomTom HT16 Android 6 phone.

I updated Google Search today but it doesn't show on top of home screen.
How to show on top of home screen, to be persistent , not as a widget?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Oh I see. I misunderstood you. Have you looked in Settings, Google, and then the various settings and preferences in there?
Also, what do you mean by the stock Android search bar? Is that not removable by long-pressing and dragging?

oeee4

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Oh I see. I misunderstood you. Have you looked in Settings, Google, and then the various settings and preferences in there?
Also, what do you mean by the stock Android search bar? Is that not removable by long-pressing and dragging?

I looked everywhere, I didn't see any option to put it on top.
There is a Search bar that was preinstalled by system, it can't be removed by long-pressing.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I wonder whether downloading the Google Now launcher from the Play Store would help.
At the same time I'll pass this to other team members, who may be able to make further suggestions.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It would be a PIA (pain in the tuckus), BUT you should be able to fix it with a factory reset. Now this is an extreme option, so PLEASE wait for others to offer better solutions first. :)

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Would you be able to share a screenshot of your home screen, as well as the message you're receiving while trying to add the widget?

A less-extreme solution would be to install and set up a 3rd-party "launcher" such as Nova. This will totally reconfigure your home screen and allow you customization options way beyond just getting the search widget you want, but it's less "nuclear" than a factory reset.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. I'm not sure what you mean by the stock search bar vs Google search bar, maybe it's something specific in the stock launcher of your phone. If this is the case I'm inclined to agree with previous posters, a custom launcher could be the best solution.

With Nova you can import your setup, so you don't need to start setting your home screens from scratch.

oeee4

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Google Now or Nova Launcher would probably solve the problem, but I can't believe that there isn't simple solution to this stupid problem, which is obviously not simple.
Factory reset isn't an option because I couldn't update Google Search anyhow.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Google Now or Nova Launcher would probably solve the problem, but I can't believe that there isn't simple solution to this stupid problem, which is obviously not simple.
Factory reset isn't an option because I couldn't update Google Search anyhow.
Can you post a screenshot so we can have a better idea of what you mean?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Just a thought. When you say "persistent search bar", do you mean having the search bar on all your screens instead of just in one of them?

Which launcher are using? Go to settings - home and see which option is selected.

oeee4

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
So, that search bar is not the one you want?

No, this is what I want. If I update Google Search then it will vanish, and preinstalled Search bar will be shown.

Just a thought. When you say "persistent search bar", do you mean having the search bar on all your screens instead of just in one of them?

Which launcher are using? Go to settings - home and see which option is selected.

Yes, Search bar should not move when swipe to other screens, it should stay on top.
I am using system Launcher3. I don't have Settings-> Home, what do you mean?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Yes, Search bar should not move when swipe to other screens, it should stay on top.

I think I understand what you mean. In some launchers the search bar is pinned, but in others it will appears only on one screen, your home screen. The recent Google app update may have changed that behaviour in your phone and Launcher3 depends on this app.

I am using system Launcher3. I don't have Settings-> Home, what do you mean?

The right steps are different from phone to phone. The best way to check and/or change the launcher is using the settings search (magnifying glass top right) and typing 'Home'.

I think the best option to get a pinned search bar back is using a custom launcher, being Nova my first choice.

oeee4

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I think I understand what you mean. In some launchers the search bar is pinned, but in others it will appears only on one screen, your home screen. The recent Google app update may have changed that behaviour in your phone and Launcher3 depends on this app.

The right steps are different from phone to phone. The best way to check and/or change the launcher is using the settings search (magnifying glass top right) and typing 'Home'.

I think the best option to get a pinned search bar back is using a custom launcher, being Nova my first choice.

I get nothing when I type "Home" in Settings search.

Installing new launcher is probably only solution to this problem.
Complex solution for simple problem, it shouldn't be like this.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I get nothing when I type "Home" in Settings search.

Installing new launcher is probably only solution to this problem.
Complex solution for simple problem, it shouldn't be like this.
Try typing 'launcher'. Sorry, I've never used that specific phone so things may be in different places.