I have HomTom HT16 Android 6 phone.

I updated Google Search today but it doesn't show on top of home screen.
    How to show on top of home screen, to be persistent , not as a widget?
    01-17-2018 04:17 AM
    It is a widget. Find it in your widget locker, then long-press, drag and drop.
    01-17-2018 06:33 AM
    It is a widget. Find it in your widget locker, then long-press, drag and drop.
    I can't add it to the top of screen, because android stock Search bar is already there. Before update Google Search was there, but after update Google Search bar is lost, and stock Search bar is shown.
    01-17-2018 12:15 PM
    Oh I see. I misunderstood you. Have you looked in Settings, Google, and then the various settings and preferences in there?
    Also, what do you mean by the stock Android search bar? Is that not removable by long-pressing and dragging?
    01-17-2018 05:41 PM
    Oh I see. I misunderstood you. Have you looked in Settings, Google, and then the various settings and preferences in there?
    Also, what do you mean by the stock Android search bar? Is that not removable by long-pressing and dragging?
    I looked everywhere, I didn't see any option to put it on top.
    There is a Search bar that was preinstalled by system, it can't be removed by long-pressing.
    01-17-2018 06:50 PM
    I wonder whether downloading the Google Now launcher from the Play Store would help.
    At the same time I'll pass this to other team members, who may be able to make further suggestions.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    01-18-2018 05:43 AM
    It would be a PIA (pain in the tuckus), BUT you should be able to fix it with a factory reset. Now this is an extreme option, so PLEASE wait for others to offer better solutions first.
    belodion and djrakowski like this.
    01-18-2018 08:09 AM
    Would you be able to share a screenshot of your home screen, as well as the message you're receiving while trying to add the widget?

A less-extreme solution would be to install and set up a 3rd-party "launcher" such as Nova. This will totally reconfigure your home screen and allow you customization options way beyond just getting the search widget you want, but it's less "nuclear" than a factory reset.
    belodion and pkcable like this.
    01-18-2018 08:33 AM
    Welcome to the forums. I'm not sure what you mean by the stock search bar vs Google search bar, maybe it's something specific in the stock launcher of your phone. If this is the case I'm inclined to agree with previous posters, a custom launcher could be the best solution.

With Nova you can import your setup, so you don't need to start setting your home screens from scratch.
    belodion and pkcable like this.
    01-18-2018 08:55 AM
    Google Now or Nova Launcher would probably solve the problem, but I can't believe that there isn't simple solution to this stupid problem, which is obviously not simple.
    Factory reset isn't an option because I couldn't update Google Search anyhow.
    01-18-2018 05:15 PM
    Google Now or Nova Launcher would probably solve the problem, but I can't believe that there isn't simple solution to this stupid problem, which is obviously not simple.
    Factory reset isn't an option because I couldn't update Google Search anyhow.
    Can you post a screenshot so we can have a better idea of what you mean?
    01-18-2018 05:24 PM
    01-19-2018 06:20 AM
    So, that search bar is not the one you want?
    01-19-2018 07:33 AM
    Just a thought. When you say "persistent search bar", do you mean having the search bar on all your screens instead of just in one of them?

Which launcher are using? Go to settings - home and see which option is selected.
    01-19-2018 08:45 AM
    So, that search bar is not the one you want?
    No, this is what I want. If I update Google Search then it will vanish, and preinstalled Search bar will be shown.

Just a thought. When you say "persistent search bar", do you mean having the search bar on all your screens instead of just in one of them?

Which launcher are using? Go to settings - home and see which option is selected.
    Yes, Search bar should not move when swipe to other screens, it should stay on top.
    I am using system Launcher3. I don't have Settings-> Home, what do you mean?
    01-19-2018 09:42 AM
    Yes, Search bar should not move when swipe to other screens, it should stay on top.
    I think I understand what you mean. In some launchers the search bar is pinned, but in others it will appears only on one screen, your home screen. The recent Google app update may have changed that behaviour in your phone and Launcher3 depends on this app.

I am using system Launcher3. I don't have Settings-> Home, what do you mean?
    The right steps are different from phone to phone. The best way to check and/or change the launcher is using the settings search (magnifying glass top right) and typing 'Home'.

I think the best option to get a pinned search bar back is using a custom launcher, being Nova my first choice.
    01-19-2018 10:12 AM
    I think I understand what you mean. In some launchers the search bar is pinned, but in others it will appears only on one screen, your home screen. The recent Google app update may have changed that behaviour in your phone and Launcher3 depends on this app.

The right steps are different from phone to phone. The best way to check and/or change the launcher is using the settings search (magnifying glass top right) and typing 'Home'.

I think the best option to get a pinned search bar back is using a custom launcher, being Nova my first choice.
    I get nothing when I type "Home" in Settings search.

Installing new launcher is probably only solution to this problem.
    Complex solution for simple problem, it shouldn't be like this.
    01-19-2018 11:01 AM
    I get nothing when I type "Home" in Settings search.

Installing new launcher is probably only solution to this problem.
    Complex solution for simple problem, it shouldn't be like this.
    Try typing 'launcher'. Sorry, I've never used that specific phone so things may be in different places.
    01-19-2018 11:05 AM
    Try typing 'launcher'. Sorry, I've never used that specific phone so things may be in different places.
    Nothing with "launcher".
    01-19-2018 01:54 PM