How to fix broken pictures

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Some of my pictures are broken I think it's due to when I was trying to transfer them from my phone to laptop I accidently disconnected usb during transfer.

Is there any way to fix it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which device do you have? Are the broken pictures saved to Internal Storage or the SD card? When you were transferring them, did you use the Copy or Move command?

Honnybee7

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
Are the pictures in the phone broken? Or just the copies on the laptop?

Hello I know you guys got alot of messages to go through and you guys are just doing this from the kindness of your guys hearts, when ever you guys have time please don't forget this thread. Thanks.

And on a side question I openned another thread about a week ago on if there's any way restore certain app data and you guys said no, and I was going through my phone Google drive and has a list of saved app data and a had saved data only on select few apps specifically the one I was referencing last time. what's actually stored on that and is there any way to access certain app data?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Use the My Files file manager app to look at the Details of one of those broken picture files. What directory is it in? If it's on your SD card, there might be a chance you can recover at least some of the files, if some part of the card became corrupt.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
And on a side question I openned another thread about a week ago on if there's any way restore certain app data and you guys said no, and I was going through my phone Google drive and has a list of saved app data and a had saved data only on select few apps specifically the one I was referencing last time. what's actually stored on that and is there any way to access certain app data?

What you're looking at is data from your installed apps that gets backed up on a regular basis to your Google Drive. This is what Google Backup (which is found in the Settings>Backup menu) is doing. Many apps will backup data there, but not all apps take advantage of this feature.

But you were asking about clipboard data in your other thread (https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/871468-how-recover-app-data.html). Clipboard data does not get backed up to Google Drive. As we mentioned in that thread, clipboard data is very temporary.

Honnybee7

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
Use the My Files file manager app to look at the Details of one of those broken picture files. What directory is it in? If it's on your SD card, there might be a chance you can recover at least some of the files, if some part of the card became corrupt.

It says sd card not inserted and it's in the image and downloads section.

Honnybee7

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
What you're looking at is data from your installed apps that gets backed up on a regular basis to your Google Drive. This is what Google Backup (which is found in the Settings>Backup menu) is doing. Many apps will backup data there, but not all apps take advantage of this feature.

But you were asking about clipboard data in your other thread (https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/871468-how-recover-app-data.html). Clipboard data does not get backed up to Google Drive. As we mentioned in that thread, clipboard data is very temporary.

I was never referring to the actual built in clipboard but a clipboard app called clipboard actions which says it's backed up in my drive.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you copy those broken pictures to your computer, do they also look broken there? If so, I'm not sure if there's any way to recover them, since the file itself is probably corrupted.

Regarding the 3rd party clipboard app you mentioned -- it's worth seeing what happens if you reinstall the app and see if it restores that data. But I doubt it will restore what you're looking for. The data that's backed up probably has more to do with settings, account information, etc. Since a clipboard app would still be dealing with temporary data (likely stored temporarily in the app cache, not app data), it's unlikely that the data you're looking for would have been backed up.