Adding a message tone field option to contacts app Samsung S9

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have been able to assign a message tone to my contacts previously so I can identify who is sending a message. Can I add the field?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
You're not alone. It seems as though Samsung has re-written the included Contacts app and removed this option. It's been brought up related to the S8 Oreo update also, so it seems like a new direction for Samsung.

Some texting apps allow you to set a per-thread notification sound. Once you have a thread started with a contact, see if you can adjust the thread options for that thread in your messaging app to set the sound.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I'll be honest, I never paid attention to that on my previous devices as I don't use that feature. Samsung provides it's own contacts app though and I don't see NEARLY the amount of complaints (if any) about this missing feature on other device forums (well, Pixel and nexus as that's where I usually visit).

I suppose I could try flashing my Nexus 6p back to Nougat to see if that field is there...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12