03-19-2019 10:04 AM
108 ... 2345
tools Reply
    I select the Messages app
    This is not what everyone wants. People want to open the Contacts app and assign the text tone there.
    W_A_Watson_II and MJazzy like this.
    07-14-2018 12:54 PM
    I'm running Messages 5.0.11.18 and none of the suggestions work. So I'm assuming who ever the "moderator on the company’s forums confirmed that the feature would return in a future update. Make sure to visit Galaxy Apps and grab version 4.4.30.5 of Messages." was misinformed. As well as the above Tap the 3 dots on the top right-hand corner. Under "Conversation Settings" appears the sub-heading "Notifications". because it's not there either. Sure wish they would FIX this downgrade.
    07-22-2018 07:40 AM
    Does not work any longer on the S8 nor Note 8
    07-30-2018 01:22 PM
    That is not a solution unless you want to lose every text thread you have.
    07-30-2018 01:26 PM
    That is not a solution unless you want to lose every text thread you have.
    I don't see how updating Samsung Messages and using that to set ringtones for each message thread (if using a Samsung device) will cause loss of the existing text threads, can you elaborate?
    07-30-2018 04:42 PM
    yes you can set individual contact tones in Oreo ! I have the S7 edge with Oreo. it's changed. almost like Textra right now. You have to wait to get a message from that person. Open message. Tap 3 dots on right top./Notifications/Custom/wheel/Importance+High... sound... choose! Now save the message from them because samsung is getting a fix for it because if you delete that message, you'll go back to default. Not sure about Note 8 phone. Maybe the same?? :-)
    07-30-2018 06:43 PM
    yes you can set individual contact tones in Oreo ! I have the S7 edge with Oreo. it's changed. almost like Textra right now. You have to wait to get a message from that person. Open message. Tap 3 dots on right top./Notifications/Custom/wheel/Importance+High... sound... choose! Now save the message from them because samsung is getting a fix for it because if you delete that message, you'll go back to default. Not sure about Note 8 phone. Maybe the same?? :-)
    Was there an update?
    07-31-2018 11:34 AM
    Again...... this is not the fix everyone is complaining about needing. You've already discovered if you delete the text message conversation, you loose the custom tone. The fix needs to happen to the "Contacts" so if a conversation gets/is deleted, the tone still stays on the custom tone.
    MJazzy likes this.
    07-31-2018 04:50 PM
    Wow- I joined this forum today just to ask about this! I've been a hardcore BlackBerry user for many years, and the separate notifications for calls and messages (both emails & texts) from the same contact were part of the BB operating system. Just got a new Key2 (Android) yesterday and was dismayed to find that I can set individual ringtones for phone calls but not for messages (emails & texts). Dang! I always really liked hearing the notification sound and knowing who was texting me. I don't know if the solutions y'all have found for other Android phones will work with my b@st@rd child, but I'll give it a try!
    08-01-2018 05:08 PM
    I don't know about the Samsung Messages, but I was having this problem in Google Messages. I could not set a notification tone for Messages that was different from the system default. In the obvious place, Messages -> Three dots -> Settings -> Notifications, there is a setting for Sound, but it doesn't change the sound. Looking at the top of that page, it says, "Other notifications," i think meaning other sounds within Messages. I DID find a way to set a non-default sound for an individual conversation. Two ways actually. But it appears to set it for all conversations I have set for each separately.

Two ways: 1) Open Google Messages, go to the conversation list. Select the conversation you want to change the sound for. Then tap the three dots menu -> People & Options -> Notifications -> Sound and pick the sound you want. 2) Go to System Settings -> Apps -> (Google) Messages -> Notifications (under App Settings). There will be a list of conversations with toggles. You can turn on or off sounds individual conversations by tapping the toggle. If you tap the name of the conversation, the Sound, you can pick then sound for that conversation.

Hope this helps!
    09-03-2018 10:28 AM
    It sounds like Google Contacts does not allow for individual customized text tones for each user. What about Android Messages? I see that Textra definitely allows this. If I install Textra, will I lose the messages I already have in my Samsung Messaging app? Or will those messages transfer over?
    09-18-2018 10:04 PM
    I still have the option on my lg after updating. When you go into the edit of the contact, you have to find the more button, it gives you extra options of things to edit (including ringtones).
    09-22-2018 08:38 AM
    I still have the option on my lg after updating. When you go into the edit of the contact, you have to find the more button, it gives you extra options of things to edit (including ringtones).
    Yes, LG kept the feature, at least on your phone and the V30 series.
    09-22-2018 11:20 PM
    Try this :
    1. Open samsung default messages app.
    2. Go to the three dots on the top right of the screen.
    3. Chose settings.
    4. Click on notifications.
    5. Click on general notifications.
    6. Then click on sound, and chose your notification sound.

And that's it... I Hope this works for you... By the way I'm using Samsung Galaxy J5 (2017) running on Android 8.1
    Mariah Stirewalt likes this.
    10-10-2018 05:32 AM
    Try this :
    1. Open samsung default messages app.
    2. Go to the three dots on the top right of the screen.
    3. Chose settings.
    4. Click on notifications.
    5. Click on general notifications.
    6. Then click on sound, and chose your notification sound.

And that's it... I Hope this works for you... By the way I'm using Samsung Galaxy J5 (2017) running on Android 8.1
    That works for the same tone for every contact. People are/were looking for different tones for each contact, and how to do this was described in the 3.5 pages of the thread prior to your reply.
    10-10-2018 06:07 AM
    Don't know
    10-14-2018 08:30 AM
    This nonsense is still a live issue.

Completely rediculous!

If I'm to remain with Android and Samsung, this needs an immediate fix, as my business security systems notify me of the burglar alarm via text message. Without being able to assign an unmissable Alarm Ringtone -- a Police Siren -- I'll be trashing the smartphone and Google / Samsung have lost a customer.

Rick Gatethorn
    gloamin likes this.
    10-25-2018 06:00 PM
    This nonsense is still a live issue.

Completely rediculous!

If I'm to remain with Android and Samsung, this needs an immediate fix, as my business security systems notify me of the burglar alarm via text message. Without being able to assign an unmissable Alarm Ringtone -- a Police Siren -- I'll be trashing the smartphone and Google / Samsung have lost a customer.

Rick Gatethorn
    Have you read the rest of the thread? Did you see the suggestions provided? Have you tried them? Samsung even update their messaging app to add the per-thread tone (though I am unable to say for certain if this update made it to all Samsung devices).

The bottom line is that there ARE ways to accomplish your goal, but you need to be willing to do a small amount of leg-work to get there.
    Javier P, srvctec and 11B1P like this.
    10-25-2018 06:23 PM
    Is that true
    11-05-2018 03:51 AM
    Is that true
    Is what true?
    11-05-2018 04:36 AM
    Ok, I just in the past few days took delivery of a new Note 9 and found the bug of losing my text tones for individuals. I've read the "suggestions" and while it's a stopgap measure, it doesn't work for me. The technique everyone describes assigned tones to the CONVERSATION, not the INDIVIDUAL. If I have a group conversation running with 3-4 people in the group, it's all my default tone. Not the individuals tone. So to me, the text tone assigned to the conversation I'd totally useless to me.
    11-18-2018 10:03 PM
    Ok, I just in the past few days took delivery of a new Note 9 and found the bug of losing my text tones for individuals. I've read the "suggestions" and while it's a stopgap measure, it doesn't work for me. The technique everyone describes assigned tones to the CONVERSATION, not the INDIVIDUAL. If I have a group conversation running with 3-4 people in the group, it's all my default tone. Not the individuals tone. So to me, the text tone assigned to the conversation I'd totally useless to me.
    No more separate notification tones in Oreo?-3333333-1-.jpg

I have an S9+ and you can set individual tone on it?
    11-18-2018 10:46 PM
    In a group conversation, I have multiple people in the conversation. The custom setting for the notification is for the conversation thread, not the individual. I can tag the thread for the CONVERSATION with a specific tone, but not the PERSON. I can have a conversation with Person A by themself and set a specific tone. But if Person A is in a conversation with Person B and Person C, then all notifications are the same. (Or whatever tone is assigned to that conversation) Whereas if the tone is assigned to the INDIVIDUAL, then each time that Person A says something, it plays Person A's tone. And each time Person B says something, it plays Person B's tone.
    chshrkt likes this.
    11-19-2018 07:13 AM
    You understand the problem, and you understand the limitations of the workaround of assigning a single tone to the conversation.

The true fix you and everyone else are looking for needs to come from Google and/or your phone maker.
    gloamin likes this.
    11-20-2018 10:57 PM
    Thank you. Everyone had been saying that this fixes the problem. Not quite. Close, but no cigar.
    11-21-2018 10:17 AM
108 ... 2345