I'll be as concise but detailed as possible:

I had my phone plugging into the wall socket last night (it's not my house and the wall socket doesn't hold my charger too well) and was using it for a bit while charging before going to sleep. I've used this wall charger before and even though it seems a bit flimsy, it charged my phone fine.

Now, my phone suddenly turns off and keeps alternating between showing a drained battery logo and turning off. I didn't bother with it and just left it there, figuring I'd charge it in the morning.

During the night, I saw a tiny power surge coming out of the wall socket - phone was still connected to the charger - and this morning the phone is absolutely unresponsive.

It has been charging to a different wall socket for over an hour now and it still does not do anything, only thing I see is a small flashing white LED in the top right. It doesn't boot, it doesn't show the battery charging logo on the screen, nothing. On top of that, it heats up a bit when charging, which seems odd since it's dead.

I have tried to connect to different wall sockets.
    I have tried holding down the power button both on and off the charger.
    I have tried holding down the power and volume down button for 30 seconds or more.

Is there anything else I can do? I cannot remove the battery and I cannot take it to a repair shop until tomorrow. Warranty is not an option. The phone is only 8-9 months old.

Phone is a Xiaomi Mi6
    04-14-2018 08:52 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! What do you mean that you saw a power surge come out of the wall socket? Do you mean you saw sparks? If so, there was probably a power surge that fried something in the phone. If the phone is only 8-9 months old, you could try contacting Xiaomi for warranty repair, but I'm not sure if they'll cover damage from a power surge.
    04-14-2018 10:25 PM
    @B. Diddy. Yes that's what I mean. Electrical terms are not my forte, sorry. I had to fiddle a bit with the charger because the wall socket didn't work that well. At that point I think I saw sparks coming out. I thought phones had some built-in protections for small things like that but not sure at all.
    Is there a chance that just the charger is damaged? (I know this is a long shot but I can only test a spare charger tomorrow)
    Warranty is sadly not an option, if something on the motherboard got fried, I assume it's almost better to get a new one?
    04-14-2018 11:02 PM
    Ok, so the charger is not the issue. If it helps, the battery was completely drained as well so maybe I need to jumpstart it somehow?
    04-15-2018 12:00 AM
    You need a new battery. It's not advisable to try 'jumpstarting' lithium ion batteries. These are a completely different tech from car batteries.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    04-15-2018 12:13 AM
    Fair enough, I can live with a new battery. As long as my other components are fine. I did hear about jumpstarting li-ion batteries though, but not sure how reliable it all is,
    04-15-2018 01:08 AM