this is about the alarm ringtone on an Alcatel phone

reble

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
This is on an Alcatel Fierce 4 model 5056N cell phone OS Android V6.0.1. I can't remember which directory to put the alarm clock ringtone in. The only directory in the phones memory that says ringtone that I can see is empty and I can't find that instruction page that I made up.

Steve

reble

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
B.Diddy I am in the phone at home > phone > alarms and the directory is completely empty. Yet when I set the alarm to ring 1 minute ahead of the current time and the time moves ahead 1 minute the alarm rings on the default ringtone. Also the text ringtone won't chime period on any incoming text.

Steve

Alarm tones should go in the directory /Alarms.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What app or file manager are you using to look at the /Alarms directory? Can you see what the actual directory pathname is? It would be something like /storage/emulated/0/Alarms (not home>phone>alarms).

Keep in mind that the preinstalled alarm tones won't show up in that directory, since the preinstalled tones are in a protected system directory that you can't access. The Alarms directory is for the user.

reble

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Using an app called "ES file explorer" I found /storage/emulated/ then nothing "empty folder". Back up 1 and there is the following dir's emulated, f21f-08ec and self. Under f21f-08ec there is a complete copy of all the SD card dir's and app's stored on the SD card. Under the dir "self" nothing, empty folder. :confused:

What app or file manager are you using to look at the /Alarms directory? Can you see what the actual directory pathname is? It would be something like /storage/emulated/0/Alarms (not home>phone>alarms).

Keep in mind that the preinstalled alarm tones won't show up in that directory, since the preinstalled tones are in a protected system directory that you can't access. The Alarms directory is for the user.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, I'm not sure if ES File Explorer looks at it in a different way. Total Commander shows the main user-accessible directory as /storage/emulated/0/.

In any case, what happens if you copy a custom alarm tone file to the Alarms directory that you did find? After copying it there, go to your Clock/Alarm app, create an alarm, and tap the alarm tone option -- do you see the custom tone there along with the preinstalled ones?

reble

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
I have the Total Commander app stored on a cd full Android app's I use the Windows version of Total Commander and it works great on my laptop. Give me a minute or 2 to install the T.C. app into the phone.

Hmm, I'm not sure if ES File Explorer looks at it in a different way. Total Commander shows the main user-accessible directory as /storage/emulated/0/.

In any case, what happens if you copy a custom alarm tone file to the Alarms directory that you did find? After copying it there, go to your Clock/Alarm app, create an alarm, and tap the alarm tone option -- do you see the custom tone there along with the preinstalled ones?

reble

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
The phone is not responding when the USB cable is plugged into the laptop. I have done this millions of times. And I just tried 3 different USB cords, no change. I know there is a setting in the settings that changes the cable from charge only to charge/download-upload and I can't find that setting. I have looked at every setting dir. a big fat nothing. :mad:

reble

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
I found the setting that changes the port from charge only to charge/data. The setting is grayed out. I can't change the port from just charging to charge/data. There is nothing wrong with the USB cables or my laptop. I tested the USB cables on my tablet and everything is just fine.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I'm not sure why the USB connection isn't working right. Does it help if you boot into Safe Mode? https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-33349

If you want to copy the custom alarm tone file from your PC to your phone in the meantime, you could always upload the file from the PC to your Google Drive in the cloud, then download it to your phone using the Drive app.

reble

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
I found total commander on the phones SD card. it is now installed. And tomorrow I am taking the phone to the Metro PCS store to ether fix the charge/data problem or replace the phone. I think I am over due for a replacement anyways.

reble

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
I found the /storage/emulated/0/alarms the alarms dir is empty. I copied the ringtone that I want and made it work for the alarm for the practice in case I get a new phone. by the way that Android version of total commander takes a bit of getting use to as compared to the windows version. Thanks for the help B.Diddy

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Glad that works! Yeah, Total Commander isn't super-intuitive, but I find it to be safe and reliable, and most importantly, ad-free.

Solid Explorer is another one that I've seen recommended, but that one isn't free if you want the full version.

reble

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
B.Diddy the phones ring tone changed again on it's own from "Orion.ogg that I installed" to the default "fresh.ogg". This time the ringtone didn't get deleted though. I like the Orion ringtone. 1. not to many ppl use it around here. 2. I am use to the Orion ringtone, it is loud. That Fresh ringtone doesn't always register in my head as the phone ringing.
OOO by the way the problem with the USB data cable not sync was the phone need to be shut off and restarted. Now the phone is sync with the laptop.

Steve

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, hard to say if it might be due to Alcatel's firmware. Alcatel's been doing some annoying stuff recently, like forcing ad-filled stock apps onto its phones, so I wouldn't be surprised if they also favor their own ringtones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty