Hi i have managed to tranfer everything from my old phone to my new one. But for some reason the notes have not! I have managed to get the backup notes onto the new phone but can not import them as it only let me access text messages to import.

Is there a way to drag and drop the back up file

thanks in advance

david
    04-16-2018 06:53 AM
    What phone? What app? Google Keep for example will easily restore to a new device.
    04-16-2018 06:58 AM
    Old phone was one plus 3 the app is the standard one you get "notes"

new phone is huawei p90 pro it also has the standard app "notes"

i have been using notes for years so have collected alot of info is it im sure there is a better option but im happy with it
    04-16-2018 07:38 AM
    Welcome

Here's the thing - Samsung may also have a "notes" app, but in all three cases they're different. There is no "standard" notes app, the closest you'll get is Google Keep. The data does not transfer between devices as the apps handle the data differently. Can you confirm if the app developer for both apps is the same? If the developer is the same, can you post a link to the Google Play listing for the app? Maybe that can give us an idea as to what the process may be.
    04-16-2018 07:46 AM
    There is no mention of developer in the app or the setting of app it was loaded on phone prior to purchase it looks and is setup exactly the same as the previous one
    04-16-2018 08:09 AM
    There is no mention of developer in the app or the setting of app it was loaded on phone prior to purchase it looks and is setup exactly the same as the previous one
    It doesn't matter. The fact is that Android has no standard Notes app, hence the Note apps on both devices are different and not compatible for backups. You need to get a Notes app that is the exact same on all devices. The free one you can get is Google Keep. Just copy your notes there so they can transfer.
    04-16-2018 09:49 AM
    Thanks for all your advice
    belodion likes this.
    04-16-2018 11:30 AM
    You guys are giving this person bad information here, or misinformation rather. He/she is using Samsung Notes, which is the same thing I have used for years on the various Samsung phones I have had. It is the standard Notes app that comes already installed on the phone stock, and you can use the widget to put on your homepage. Yes, it is the same app from phone to phone, and it is developed by Samsung Electronics, the actual Samsung company, and it is the "standard" notes app for Samsung.
    Now having said that, I don't have an answer to your post OP. I've actually had issues where I had notes on a previous phone, without an SD card, that were security locked with fingerprint security, and upon trying to import with my Samsung account they were still locked and the password wouldn't work ( wouldn't allow me to just use my fingerprint with the new phone). So I guess that's in a way my answer to your question, if you used a "Samsung account" just like you would your email to back up your things on your phone such as contacts etc when buying a new phone, upon entering your account info on your new phone it would just import everything "Samsung" associated with it. If you didn't do that or an SD card, I don't think it will just import. I found this out because when I got the s8+ I did the normal act of logging on with email and importing everything with that, but Samsung Notes didn't import until I logged into my Samsung account, previously registered on a different phone.
    Hope this helps, but just remember that if you "fingerprint lock them" for security, I would unlock them if you ever get a new phone to transfer them.
    04-16-2018 11:54 AM
    @SAnon Sure, the Notes app on the Samsung device may be Samsung's Notes app. The Notes app on the Huawei device, if it was built in as indicated, is NOT Samsung's Notes app. This would be why the backup from the one device is not recognized on the other.

On top of that - both the Samsung Notes app and SNote are incompatible with all of my devices (including a Samsung Tab S3).
    04-16-2018 12:11 PM
    @hallux ah yes, lol, I completely looked over that comment he made about the phone type. I had in my head Samsung Notes because I was having an issue myself recently and saw he mentioned notes and ran with it. Yes, you are correct, they would be different I suppose with different companies. Spot on.
    It is strange that you have issues though with different Samsung phones, you'd think the Samsung developer of notes would be the same across all Samsung phones in general, but I guess not somehow. Anyway, good catch 👍
    Harleyuki likes this.
    04-16-2018 12:22 PM
    @hallux I posted a reply but it didn't post.
    Anyway, I tried to say good catch, I totally disregarded his comment about it not being a Samsung phone. That definitely makes a difference
    04-16-2018 01:11 PM
    Hi, i don't know if the issue is fixed or not, i lost my notes several times before, fortunatle the samsung backup included the notes in the choice list but now, upgraded to the OS 9 (PIE) this option deapeared.

But the solution is very simple in fact, just select all notes, then share then as a notes doc ".sdoc" and send it to your self

by this way, you will have a real backup, and not loose the data.

03-15-2019 03:41 AM
    share then as a notes doc ".sdoc"
    This is still a Samsung-proprietary format. If you read through the entire thread (which was last posted in almost a year ago) it seems that the original question was going cross-manufacturer so a solution that remains Samsung-proprietary is not one that works. In fact - the OP wasn't even asking about a Samsung device! The OP had a OnePlus and a Huawei...
    03-15-2019 04:40 AM