Is it possible to use an SU binary from anywhere except the /system location?
    I found an SU binary online which I wanted to use, but I found out that my phone has no recovery partition and it is a Chinese phone. Is it possible to use the SU binary without placing it in the /system partition?
    What I mean is temporarily use root from the binary (with maybe terminal emulator) to find a way to push it into the /system partition and so have it rooted this way, if it is possible.
    04-27-2018 02:27 PM
    What I mean is temporarily use root from the binary (with maybe terminal emulator) to find a way to push it into the /system partition and so have it rooted this way, if it is possible.
    That's what people who come up with rooting methods do - find an exploit (a bug, basically) that allows the phone to start in root. But you can't do it by installing su anywhere but /system, and you need to be rooted to do that, which is why it can take months for someone to find a way to root a particular phone using a particular version of Android.

What you can do is see if Magisk - Root & Universal Systemless Interface [Android 5.0+] works on your phone. If it does, you can have the app install the binary (it's not su, but Magisk needs a bi9nary component).
    04-27-2018 04:38 PM