I just recently purchased a Galaxy S8+ and from the get go, have been receiving app notifications when I have my WiFi and data settings are off It only seems it happens when I am close proximity to a WiFi network that I have logged in to (secure networks) such as home and at work. Has anyone else had these issues? I never had them with my Galaxy S7 and I had the same apps.
    05-01-2018 10:11 AM
    What sort of apps? Not all apps require an internet connection to generate notifications, particularly if they store data locally (calendars and tasks, for example).

Is your phone set to connect to known WiFi networks automatically? Are you certain you've disconnected from the mobile network?

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.
    05-01-2018 10:45 AM
    Right now it's the MLB and Twitter apps. I believe that my phone is however I turn the WiFi off and that's when I still get the notifications and yes my mobile network is off.
    05-01-2018 11:05 AM
    How are you shutting off mobile data? On the Galaxy S9, it's in Settings->Connections->Data Usage->Mobile Data. That should shut it off completely.

The GS9 also gives you the option to shut off auto-sync, which leaves the data connection active but turns off background sync. In the quick-settings shade, it looks like two arrows pointing to each other in a circular pattern. I bet the apps you mentioned would still receive notifications even with background sync disabled.
    05-01-2018 09:10 PM
    How are you shutting off mobile data? On the Galaxy S9, it's in Settings->Connections->Data Usage->Mobile Data. That should shut it off completely.

The GS9 also gives you the option to shut off auto-sync, which leaves the data connection active but turns off background sync. In the quick-settings shade, it looks like two arrows pointing to each other in a circular pattern. I bet the apps you mentioned would still receive notifications even with background sync disabled.
    That's the same on the Samsung S8+. I still think it's a WiFi issue though. The easiest way for me to explain it is, even though the WiFi is turned off on my phone, it periodically will pick up a signal and will give app notifications THOUGH the WiFi is actually off. This only happens when I'm at places where I have actually connected to the WiFi networks (Home & Work) if that makes sense?
    05-02-2018 11:57 AM
    Yes, that makes sense!

Try accessing the internet (open Chrome or the Samsung browser) the next time this happens.

Check this setting:
    Settings->Connections->Wi-Fi->Advanced
    Check the "Turn on Wi-Fi automatically" setting (I have this turned off, so I have to enable WiFi manually even when I'm in range of known, remembered hotspots)

And just in case, check the "Wi-Fi Control history." Mine shows that WiFi was deactivated at 7:15 AM by Tasker (which is to be expected, as I have a Tasker profile set up to do so).
    05-02-2018 12:09 PM
    Yes, that makes sense!

Try accessing the internet (open Chrome or the Samsung browser) the next time this happens.

Check this setting:
    Settings->Connections->Wi-Fi->Advanced
    Check the "Turn on Wi-Fi automatically" setting (I have this turned off, so I have to enable WiFi manually even when I'm in range of known, remembered hotspots)

And just in case, check the "Wi-Fi Control history." Mine shows that WiFi was deactivated at 7:15 AM by Tasker (which is to be expected, as I have a Tasker profile set up to do so).
    I did this so I'll have to see if it worked as I'm not close to any of the WiFi networks. On another topic I also am wondering when I send chat messages instead of SMS messages, does that require an internet connection or will those send the same as a SMS text?
    05-02-2018 01:18 PM
    I did this so I'll have to see if it worked as I'm not close to any of the WiFi networks. On another topic I also am wondering when I send chat messages instead of SMS messages, does that require an internet connection or will those send the same as a SMS text?
    I assume you're talking about the chat service that works with the default messaging app, correct? If so, no, you don't need an internet connection. I tested it on my GS9 by disconnecting from the mobile network, then sending a message to my wife, and was able to see delivery, read, and typing indicators.
    05-02-2018 01:40 PM
    I assume you're talking about the chat service that works with the default messaging app, correct? If so, no, you don't need an internet connection. I tested it on my GS9 by disconnecting from the mobile network, then sending a message to my wife, and was able to see delivery, read, and typing indicators.
    Yes. I'm still trying to figure out what's causing me to get notifications and I thought maybe that somewhere though I have my Data switched to off, it's on in some other setting I'm unaware of because I was sending messages to my wife (who has a S8) and I was getting the delivery, read and typing indicators. I was getting those when I wasn't remotely close to a recognized WiFi network and I thought that some sort of internet connection (Data or WiFi) was needed to sent that style of message. So that eliminates one of my theories.

****UPDATE****

I was still having issues so I went to the Samsung store and had one of their techs look at my phone and they had no idea how I'm getting app push notifications without being connected to WiFi or Data. What's worse is he (the tech) had no idea that I could change from chat to SMS and back in the default messaging app. He did however reinstall the operating system thinking that may help. I then went home and not too long after I got home, I got another notification from twitter and what's even weirder was one of my apps updated. All this again when not actually connected to WiFi or Data. I'm honestly stumped and I thought a tech from the store I bought from could help and couldn't.
    05-02-2018 04:25 PM
    That's really weird. I wonder if any of this behavior could be the result of a hardware fault. Regardless, I'm stumped.
    05-03-2018 08:57 AM
    Don't look at it too hard. You're getting free internet service. (Unless it only happens when you're near a wifi signal you've connected to before - then I'd guess at a hardware problem. [But to do more than guess, I'd need to have the phone on my bench.])
    djrakowski likes this.
    05-03-2018 05:05 PM
    Don't look at it too hard. You're getting free internet service. (Unless it only happens when you're near a wifi signal you've connected to before - then I'd guess at a hardware problem. [But to do more than guess, I'd need to have the phone on my bench.])
    It only happens when I'm near a signal that it's been connected to and is recognized. I've talked to the Samsung customer service 1-800 number and they're having me send my phone to their repair shop for them to have a look at it.
    05-04-2018 12:54 PM