Why doesn't Android allow recording apps to record internal audio?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I was told by app developers that the Android API does not allow them to record any internal sounds. You have to send sounds through the external mic via the speaker. This makes no sense to me. It would make much more sense to allow people the option to use the internal mic or not. As it stands, I can't record anything that I need earbuds in for. Anyone have a very good reason for neglecting this feature?

Ihate_Camper

May 4, 2018
Visit site
no one cant seem to answer this question. I have raised this as well before but no reply fromanyone.

if someone suggest other recording uo forget abt it. i have tried it all

mobizen
du recorder
omlet
yt gaming
etc.

all not working.

im using samsune note 8 and samsung s9

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's a copyright issue. If the manufacturer gives you an easy way to copy, say, paid-for-music, they're assisting you in violating copyright, which is a few crimes (copyright violation, conspiracy, etc.)

Alin Stoica

Aug 11, 2018
Visit site
It's a copyright issue. If the manufacturer gives you an easy way to copy, say, paid-for-music, they're assisting you in violating copyright, which is a few crimes (copyright violation, conspiracy, etc.)

And what about iPhone? Why they can record and android don't? That's bull

Last edited by a moderator:

Sankili Praveen

Sep 13, 2018
Visit site
What the hell man first time ever I hate Google 's idea we all need internal audio recording and when will u give us that feature again man when? If u are not then how yeah internal audio is allowed if phone is rooted then what will happen phone will dead forever u know that wtf is going on here when will we got this feature backup should reply!!!!! And one thing copyright is allowed for iOS right wtf is going on here?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I suggest you provide feedback to Google through android.com or the feedback capabilities in your phone. This site is not directly affiliated with Google or Android, your post here may never been seen by anyone that can do anything about it.

If u are not then how yeah internal audio is allowed if phone is rooted then what will happen phone will dead forever

Are you implying that if Google/Android doesn't allow internal audio recording it's going to kill the OS? Haha, ok. Of all the Android devices sold there are a TINY number of people that are really pushing for this capability.

PhoenixAt44

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Your attitude is more likely to be the eventual cause of the demise of Android. "Haha, ok"? Android in large measure beat out the other IOS alternatives (windows phone, etc) because people believe that an OS based on an open source foundation would be more responsive to the desires of the public it serves, rather than answering questions and concerns with arrogance and disdain.

I for one have a strong desire to be able to record my phone calls. It is legal for me to do so in the commonwealth of Virginia, and as long as I count on my cell phone calls for scheduling and executing the events of my life I will have the desire to create and retain legal records of what occurs during my phone calls.

I don't like having others decide how I protect my own privacy, and I don't like having a company decide based on PC pendulum swings how they will change a capability I have depended on for a significant period. And I REALLY don't like people claiming how many or few people support a particularly feature without backing it up. Unless you've asked ME if I want a feature, don't claim to know the stats.

OK?
Doug Huneycutt

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It is legal for me to do so in the commonwealth of Virginia
So each manufacturer would have to maintain 2 copies of the OS for each variant - one that allows recording calls and one that doesn't. That adds enormous expense. (Maintaining a ROM takes a team of developers - maintaining 2 takes 2 teams.)

Try Call Recorder - they have a number of methods to grab the audio, and one of them will probably work with your phone. (And if it doesn't, complain to Samsung - they're about the worst for not allowing phone call recording. Vanilla Android doesn't keep you from recording internal audio.)

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I for one have a strong desire to be able to record my phone calls. It is legal for me to do so in the commonwealth of Virginia...
Unless you're talking with someone in an all-party consent state. The legalities of recording calls in the states can get confusing, which is why you are notified by many companies that calls may be recorded when you first call them.

Unless you've asked ME if I want a feature, don't claim to know the stats.

And no one is likely to ask you. Do you realize how time consuming and expensive it would be to collect that kind of microscopic data from every user? You may get lucky and asked to participate in a small survey, but even then I doubt any exist asking about audio recordings. Sometimes manufacturers just make a decision and see what the response is (good or bad) after the fact you create the stats. If this is a feature you feel so strongly about, then it's up to you to go to them and request it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Your attitude is more likely to be the eventual cause of the demise of Android. "Haha, ok"? Android in large measure beat out the other IOS alternatives (windows phone, etc) because people believe that an OS based on an open source foundation would be more responsive to the desires of the public it serves, rather than answering questions and concerns with arrogance and disdain.

I for one have a strong desire to be able to record my phone calls. It is legal for me to do so in the commonwealth of Virginia, and as long as I count on my cell phone calls for scheduling and executing the events of my life I will have the desire to create and retain legal records of what occurs during my phone calls.

I don't like having others decide how I protect my own privacy, and I don't like having a company decide based on PC pendulum swings how they will change a capability I have depended on for a significant period. And I REALLY don't like people claiming how many or few people support a particularly feature without backing it up. Unless you've asked ME if I want a feature, don't claim to know the stats.

OK?
Doug Huneycutt

You think the demise of Android will be you not being able to record a phone call when there are 3rd party apps galore that do this? I mean if you own a smartphone you may have to take some responsibility on doing things. Even if it isn't built into the OS you can do it usually through 3rd party. If you don't want 3rd party then don't use Android since it doesn't fit your needs?

I mean I am fully baffled that someone thinks the "demise" of Android is because they can't record a phone call when you can (especially if you just use the 2-3 mins you took to make this post to search on the topic).

I don't like people making claims like the "demise" of any entire product line based on THEIR needs and IGNORING everyone else as if they are the ONLY ONE who ever has an opinion.

OK?
Almeuit

PhoenixAt44

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Nope. I didn't say that Android would fail because it (or implementations by specific vendors) could not record phone calls. I said that people expected Android development and implementation to be less authoritarian and arrogant that the alternatives (Apple, Microsoft, etc). And that finding that to not be the case may have a negative impact on future appeal.

And I did use the word "demise". My bad. People will accept the authoritarian and arrogant approach so long as the end result is still useful for their purposes ... Linux is the best example in the FOSS world, Apple on the dark side. But I did not intend to imply that the opinion of a single peon user should sway the overall development of a product. But a simple google search will show that this particular issue, being able to continue to use apps that successfully recorded phone calls before the latest OS releases, is not a "single user" issue. And the issue for many seems to revolve around the perceived need for Android to police the use of a function rather than allowing the police to police the issue.

I appreciate all the opinions, not just those that I agree with. But, I'm most interested in being able to use my phone to best meet my needs. To that end, thank you to all who have directed me toward possible alternatives.

Doug

And there is no suggestion that multiple versions of Android be maintained. Just that the OS itself support the capabilities of the hardware involved. If every HW/SW producer tried to maintain separate versions for each locality's capricious laws, nothing would ever be produced. There are two possibilities. 1) Let the device perform as it is capable of performing, or 2) Force the device to perform at the most restrictive level of any of the localities in which it is to be sold. Option 2 forces the developers to implement the least common denominator across the entire market. Is that what the world wants?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
And there is no suggestion that multiple versions of Android be maintained. Just that the OS itself support the capabilities of the hardware involved.
The OS is Linux. It does.

Android is just an app running in Linux. It also does.

Samsung doesn't. You're not limited to using Samsung phones to stay on Android.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
I said that people expected Android development and implementation to be less authoritarian and arrogant that the alternatives (Apple, Microsoft, etc). And that finding that to not be the case may have a negative impact on future appeal.

Aside from the XDA crowd, I don't know anyone who would think that. It's an easier to access ecosystem, but that doesn't make it less concerned about the legal and ethical considerations that are entailed in hosting services, or providing an OS framework. Here's an explanation of how/why that functionality is blocked: https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/08/15/android-9-pie-puts-end-third-party-call-recording-apps/

adampaul883

Feb 19, 2019
Visit site
There are a lot of Apps available that can be used for this purpose to record internal audio? You can use all these Apps

Mobizen Screen Recorder
AZ Screen Recorder
Gotta Go App
Nox App Player

catlady99

Mar 5, 2019
Visit site
Hi,
I am not sure if you have fixed this issue or not, but thought htis might be helpful for you.
I use an appcalled boldbeast recorder. it is a free app on google play.
I can record phone calls, meetings, and leave myself voice memos.
a word of warning though, it has been working well for years, but as of a couple of weeks ago I keep getting a message stating Android only allows one recording app to run at a time and I must uninstall or force stop all others, well the only other thing I have is a paid for app, which I did indeed install a couple of weeks ago - it allows me to transfer vinyl to my phone via a usb record player, but I forced it to stop and that has not fixed this issue - could be my phone as now the speakers are playing up, so might not be boldbeast clashing with anything.
However this app has worked well for me for many years, you can set it to store files on drive or sd card, or other cloud area if you do not want to keep them on your android phone.
I am disabled so it is super important for me to record conversations as I can then go back and listen to them.
I am in the UK, here it is permissable to record your own conversations for personal use. It is not something you could take to court , but handy nonetheless.
I hope this helps.

AshlynnStar909

Mar 6, 2019
Visit site
This app works!

Okay it kind of works...
Not how you would like it to work but it works.
It's a little complicated on how to make it work but if you follow the directions as so you should be just fine!
So far I have found that while on Bluetooth it'll only record your voice, but will record both voices if it's on speaker or on regular handset.
The app is ACR
Here's the directions:
-Audio source set to MIC
-Recording format set to MP3
-Audio gain to 14 (under recording setting)
Good luck everyone and I hope you can continue to remember this small details, hold debt collectors responsible, help win your lawsuit, win that argument with another person, catch that cheating b$&!h red handed or whatever it is you use the call recorder for!
Happy/safe recording!

adampaul883

Feb 19, 2019
Visit site
Re: This app works!

Okay it kind of works...
Not how you would like it to work but it works.
It's a little complicated on how to make it work but if you follow the directions as so you should be just fine!
So far I have found that while on Bluetooth it'll only record your voice, but will record both voices if it's on speaker or on regular handset.
The app is ACR
Here's the directions:
-Audio source set to MIC
-Recording format set to MP3
-Audio gain to 14 (under recording setting)
Good luck everyone and I hope you can continue to remember this small details, hold debt collectors responsible, help win your lawsuit, win that argument with another person, catch that cheating b$&!h red handed or whatever it is you use the call recorder for!
Happy/safe recording!

So nice information..But You can use all these Apps to Recording Memories for Family and Friend permanetly. You can left your memories for special Loved Ones

Mobizen Screen Recorder
AZ Screen Recorder
Gotta Go App
Nox App Playe

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch