Do all Google Play games have annoying advertisements and gameplay limits?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi, I installed 3 games on my wife's tablette because she heard about them from a friend. However, we soon found out that that these games are extreamly annoying due to frequent advertisements and limiting gameplay by asking to pay if we wanted to buy game time or buy this and that. The only way we found to bypass them was to simply close the game and come back 30 min later. I admit these 3 games are free.

I am very disapointed in how games are created on Google Play. I know you will say it is to have the game creator get somekind of constant income but still, it is extrealy annoying. Even Angry Birds, the first version I used to play a few years back is now polluted with this annoyance. It used to be no limit, no advertisement !!!

So my question to you, are all games on Google Play cursed with those same two annoyances no matter if the game is free or if you have to pay for them ?f

Are there games that have no adverstisements and no gameplay limit annoyances ?

The more I think about it, the more I think I should have given her a laptop then a tablette.

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
There are plenty of games in the Play Store without these annoyances - but those are usually paid (rather than "free") apps. Regardless, you're going to pay for the app one way or another, because the app's developer wants to make money from the app. You'll either pay for the app up front (when you download and install from the Play Store) or you'll pay later (via advertisements and/or nagging to make in-app purchases).

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Pretty much anyone who spends a year developing a game (and if it's worth playing, it's going to take at least that long for someone with a day job) is going to want to get paid for his effort, whether it's a game in the Play store or a program for Windows, so either there's an ad every round (if you get 1 cent per click on an ad, you need about 1,000 ads out there to get 1 cent, so you need a lot of ads running in each game) or you make it a payware app.

There are plenty of free and ad-free games, but they're not something that anyone would want to play for long. (Maybe something some high school student made during a week of detention.)

It's different for some apps - if someone needs an app and spends a year developing it, he has his own incentive - his need for it. And it's good advertising for himself as the product when he's looking for a job. (Which is where the whole "freeware" thing came from - we used to release programs we wrote just because we wanted them. I released what would have been am email editor back when we were using dial-up bulletin boards because there was no way to edit what you had committed to send ... because I had committed something, but then realized that I wanted to change it, so I had to develop a program to do that. With all the use it got, someone once sent me $10 for it. You don't pay for the groceries like that.)

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I hate to be blunt, but you need to go back and look at what you wrote. You agree developers should be paid, but are complaining about paying them or accepting ads that pay them. If you don't like either of these two options, then I would ask how you suggest developers get paid?

Granted, some games have so many ads as to make it virtually unplayable or interfere with your phone usage when not actually in the app (such as pop-ups on your home screen). Thankfully those are few and far between. Most developers understand the need for balance and try to keep ads minimal or give you an extra perk for watching one. If you think the ads you see are intrusive, feel free to create an account so you can reply here. Let us know which games you have issue with and we might be able to suggest a better alternative (there's a lot of similar apps in most genre's).

There is another option, too. Sign up for Google Rewards. It will send you surveys now and then that pay you in Google credits you can use on the Play store. They don't always pay much, but they do add up over time and you can use those credits to buy ad free apps. I've made several purchases this way over the years.