Can you comepletely get rid of Google Assistant, or at least get it off the home screen?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I was using my apps (gmail, chrome, YouTube ex.) When I pressed the home screen button and noticed something called "Assistant" On my home screen. I clicked on it and it was a Google app that had just appeared out of nowhere some time in the past few hours. I never use any search systems besides Google Chrome, so I when to my settings to try to delete it, when I noticed it wasn't in my settings any where, not it my apps or anything. I thought it would be like Chrome where it showed up in my apps in settings, but I couldn't delete it, only turn it off. Is there any way to get it off of my home screen? I don't want to have to look at it or constantly accidentally click on it instead of another app. What's weird is I don't have a normal phone. I don't have Android or Apple or Samsung, I have an Honor phone. My phone model is the Honor 6X, so I didn't think that a random app would appear out of nowhere without context or warning. Please, if there is any way to get it off of the home screen I would greatly appreciate if you helped me out. Thanks!

Sam_Gs7

May 27, 2016
Visit site
:( Turn oK Google on or off
1) On your phone or tablet - Touch and hold the Home button or say "oK google"
2) At the top right-Tap More settings
3) Under "Devices" select your phone or tablet
4) Turn on google Assistant-Turn "oK Google" detection On or off

is Not advisable to disable "Google assistant" is very important app

AstroBoy1963

May 10, 2018
Visit site
:( Turn oK Google on or off
1) On your phone or tablet - Touch and hold the Home button or say "oK google"
2) At the top right-Tap More settings
3) Under "Devices" select your phone or tablet
4) Turn on google Assistant-Turn "oK Google" detection On or off

is Not advisable to disable "Google assistant" is very important app

But I never opened the app, so I cant turn it off, and I never plan on using the app ever so I just want it off of my screen. I know I can't delete the app from my phone, but I at least want to know if there is a way to get it off of the home screen.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
But I never opened the app, so I cant turn it off, and I never plan on using the app ever so I just want it off of my screen. I know I can't delete the app from my phone, but I at least want to know if there is a way to get it off of the home screen.
Welcome to the forums. The Assistant icon showed up on some phones after the latest Google app update. I saw it on my app drawer a couple days ago, but it vanished this morning. If you still have it on the home screen try to remove it after a long press like with any other shortcut.

AstroBoy1963

May 10, 2018
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. The Assistant icon showed up on some phones after the latest Google app update. I saw it on my app drawer a couple days ago, but it vanished this morning. If you still have it on the home screen try to remove it after a long press like with any other shortcut.

Thank you so much! I just put it into a folder for now, hopefully it'll go away or have the option to not stay on the home screen sometime in the next few days.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I notice some people said it was a bug with the app updating, but I have auto updates turned off, so my Google app hasn't been updated since I got my phone, mostly because I never use it. I'm hoping it'll go away like it did with you and the other person.
It's possible that this issue was caused by an update for the Play Services and not the Google app.

reallyGrumpyoldman

Jun 11, 2019
Visit site
My Honor 9 life had a home page of it's own and even though I disabled everything to do with it the page refused to go away. In desperation I disabled the app completely by going into settings, apps, Google and disable. I set it back to the factory basic and left it disabled. When I returned to the home screen the Google assistant page was gone. Good riddance! Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89