Facebook Messenger stickers in my Gallery?!

confusedandroid

May 19, 2018
Visit site
I have a Droid Maxx2. I have verified it is the Facebook Messenger stickers showing up in my (photo) Gallery, and not by my choice.

Note: Save Photos, as well as Save & Capture are both OFF already in the Facebook Messenger app.

I have deleted all the extra stickers, and am left with the basic stickers that come with the Messenger app when downloaded.

I just deleted the Google Photos app, the Facebook Messenger app, the (photo) Gallery, the device cache, and then reloaded each item one at a time.

The only things I was able to do are these:
Decrease the number of images that appear in the (photo) Gallery; determine that it is EITHER the Facebook Messenger app putting the images in the Gallery (it happens when I click on or use an image in the FBM app) or the Google Photos app (it happens when I simply open it); and determine that I am only able to delete the images one by one in the Gallery or the Google Photos.

I have ALREADY read all the other threads re this, and none of the other solutions apply.
It is either the Google Photos app or the FB Messenger app causing it, but I wish to continue using both (for simple photos and messaging only, not for texts).

I do want to use stickers in the FBM app, as well.

I do not want the Gallery and Google Photos flooded with unwanted images. This has been happening for over a month, now.

Please help....if you can.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! This is usually because the app developer neglected to add a ".nomedia" file in the directory where those images are being saved. ".nomedia" instructs the system to ignore that directory when scanning for images to add to the gallery database.

If you know which directory those images are in, use a file manager app to add a blank file and call it ".nomedia" (without the quotes). Then see if the images disappear from the gallery apps.

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I am having the same issue! It's been going on well over a month now. It happens a few hours after I use the messenger app. Suddenly EVERY sticker downloads!!! I delete and then if someone sends me a message via messenger, BAM! they download again! They download into my Gallery app usually the current and past day.

Galaxy S8

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Using your gallery app, select one of those sticker images and tap Menu, then Information or Details. It should tell you which directory the image is saved to -- tell us what the name of that directory is. Now use a file manager app (like My Files) to look in that specific directory. If you can't find a file called .nomedia, then that's the problem. You can typically create a blank file titled ".nomedia" using a file manager app, but I'm not sure if the Samsung My Files app can do that.

I agree that it doesn't make any sense, but this isn't how it's supposed to work in the first place. As I mentioned before, the app developer is supposed to know to add the .nomedia file in the directory the app uses to cache the sticker image files. You could send Facebook feedback about this: android-support@fb.com

Shaddixtsvet

Sep 2, 2018
Visit site
Hello all,
B.Diddy, thank you for your comment!
I found out that I have file named .nomedia it is just hidden and I do not know how to unhide it permanently or how to create new one... What is this stupid thing anyway, it started a month ago, I have never experienced stuff like this before.

So do you have any other advise?
Thank you in advance!
Kr,
Tsvetelina

Kitcat62

Sep 6, 2018
Visit site
Using your gallery app, select one of those sticker images and tap Menu, then Information or Details. It should tell you which directory the image is saved to -- tell us what the name of that directory is. Now use a file manager app (like My Files) to look in that specific directory. If you can't find a file called .nomedia, then that's the problem. You can typically create a blank file titled ".nomedia" using a file manager app, but I'm not sure if the Samsung My Files app can do that.

I agree that it doesn't make any sense, but this isn't how it's supposed to work in the first place. As I mentioned before, the app developer is supposed to know to add the .nomedia file in the directory the app uses to cache the sticker image files. You could send Facebook feedback about this: android-support@fb.com
Hi Bdiddy- sorry to post his subject to death again & I've read your answer, checked the emoji details & The emoji is under com.facebook.orca,the subfolder is fb_temporary, where I found the .nomedia file. Clicked on it and it's not supported... Funny thing I've not been on FB or messenger in over a week. I'm not smartphones savvy, I missed the part on how to get the emojis to download to the file. My phone gallery & Google photos are all over the place. I really hate this phone. My Galaxy was much easier then this dumb LG

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I found out that I have file named .nomedia it is just hidden and I do not know how to unhide it permanently or how to create new one... What is this stupid thing anyway, it started a month ago, I have never experienced stuff like this before.

Welcome to Android Central! The leading period in .nomedia is supposed to make it hidden (in Windows Explorer, but not to standard Android file manager apps). You should be able to see hidden files easily by selecting the Show Hidden Files/Folders option in Windows Explorer. You can create a .nomedia file using a file manager app (if it has the ability) or a simple text editor app like Jota.

Are you saying that even though there's a .nomedia file in the directory, you're still seeing the stickers in that directory show up in your Gallery?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi Bdiddy- sorry to post his subject to death again & I've read your answer, checked the emoji details & The emoji is under com.facebook.orca,the subfolder is fb_temporary, where I found the .nomedia file. Clicked on it and it's not supported... Funny thing I've not been on FB or messenger in over a week. I'm not smartphones savvy, I missed the part on how to get the emojis to download to the file. My phone gallery & Google photos are all over the place. I really hate this phone. My Galaxy was much easier then this dumb LG

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say you clicked on the .nomedia file and it's not supported, and how you missed the part on how to get the emojis to download to the file.

The .nomedia file isn't meant to be opened -- it's simply a marker for the system to identify which directories it should ignore when it scans for images to include in the Gallery database.

dp141

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
Also following with the problem of fb messenger stickers littering the gallery.

Attempted to follow your advice, Ambassador P. Diddy, and found the gallery sticker details indicate a different location than where I found the sticker files thru file manager. I am unable to find the folder from the gallery details.

Screenshots attached.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the .nomedia is there & the emojis were in my gallery. In a folder I had family pictures. Lol!

Try the following, which won't erase any of your personal photos: go to Settings>Apps, select Gallery, then Storage, then Clear Cache/Clear Data. Now open the Gallery app again, wait a few seconds for the database to rebuild, and see if the emojis are there again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Attempted to follow your advice, Ambassador P. Diddy, and found the gallery sticker details indicate a different location than where I found the sticker files thru file manager. I am unable to find the folder from the gallery details.

Welcome to Android Central! Sorry, but your screenshots didn't come through. See this guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

What directory do the details say the stickers are located in?

dp141

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
Dang, I loaded the android central app thinking I could upload the screen shots but not in a reply field?

Anyway, transcribing from the photo:

Details for file in the Gallery -
" storage / emulated / 0 / Android / data /com.Facebook.Pages.App /files / stickers / 126361870881943 / 126361874215276 / preview. PNG

File details in file manager:

internal storage / Android / data / com.Facebook.Orca / files / stickers / 823232174362427 / 823252511027060

There are some extras spaces in there from my voice to text but editing got tedious.

Garfunkello

Sep 11, 2018
Visit site
I had the same issue. I am using a Blu Vivo X. I was able to find the file's path using the basic gallery app. It gave me this path "Phone Storage/Android/Data/com.facebook.orca/files/stickers" Now make sure you select the "Show Hidden files" option on whatever file manager you are using (I'm using a basic file viewer that came with my phone, but ES file explorer will work). Select and hold down on the "Stickers" folder until the different options come up, and from there, rename it to ".Stickers" Doing this will hide all of them from your gallery. Anytime you put a period in front of the name on any Android file, it hides it front being found publicly. Now close out your gallery or anything using it and reopen it and they should be gone. They are not deleted but I assume Messenger saves them there to use them. Doing this shouldn't effect Messengers use of them either. Good luck.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Dang, I loaded the android central app thinking I could upload the screen shots but not in a reply field?

Anyway, transcribing from the photo:

Details for file in the Gallery -
" storage / emulated / 0 / Android / data /com.Facebook.Pages.App /files / stickers / 126361870881943 / 126361874215276 / preview. PNG

File details in file manager:

internal storage / Android / data / com.Facebook.Orca / files / stickers / 823232174362427 / 823252511027060

There are some extras spaces in there from my voice to text but editing got tedious.

That's strange -- I thought you could still attach photos using the main Android Central app. Or did you install the AC Forums app instead? That one might have issues with attaching images (I don't know for sure, since I don't use that one).

I'm wondering if Facebook Messenger is saving the main stickers in that "Orca" directory, but the preview images (i.e., thumbnails) in the other directory. Since the latter is where the images are showing up in your Gallery, it's possible that directory is missing the .nomedia file (while the "Orca" directory may actually have the .nomedia file). Are the only images that show up in the Gallery in thumbnail format (i.e., really small and low res)?

Definitely try what Garfunkello suggested as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87