So if I want to send a text when I type in a name in the "receiptient" box, it will not recognize any contacts. All contacts are Google. If I create a contact and save to the phone, messages works as it should. Email works fine.
    06-10-2018 07:09 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Go to Settings>Apps and select the Messaging app. Then tap Permissions -- does the app have Contacts permission?
    djrakowski likes this.
    06-10-2018 05:06 PM
    Yes permissions are turned on. Had set to all contacts, phone, Google, Samsung, etc. I did find a fix.

Settings
    Contacts
    More settings
    Contacts to display
    Changed from all to custom.
    Chose Google account
    Checked all radial in the Google account. Prior imports etc.

Now works like a charm. Phone knew where to look for contacts, google, but Google contacts needed to specified I guess.
    Thanks for the reply and hope this helps others.
    Cheers
    djrakowski, B. Diddy and Run2Eat like this.
    06-13-2018 10:02 AM
    Thanks for the update! That's an odd bug. I remember something similar when trying to sync contacts to my old car's Bluetooth system -- it wouldn't work right if All was selected for Contacts to Display. I had to select specific groups.
    06-13-2018 11:07 AM
    Yes very puzzling indeed. I've owned androids for years and have never encountered an issue such as recognising contacts for messaging. Email and phone worked, just not texts. Start to type a contact in email or phone app and the list populates with possible contacts. This only affected messaging. Very strange indeed. Solved for now but when I told the phone to use all contacts groups, I would expect that it picks all contacts in each group, without having to go to a submenu to tell specific subcategories to use with Google. Again thanks for the input.
    Cheers
    B. Diddy and Run2Eat like this.
    06-13-2018 07:12 PM
    If you want to investigate further, see if the problem persists in Safe Mode: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-34283
    06-14-2018 11:16 AM
    thanks for this list - saved my sanity!
    09-24-2018 03:26 PM