How do I recover photos for Pixel 1 from Google Photos?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a Pixel XL 1 and connected it by USB cable to my new HP Spectrum X360 laptop running Windows 10 to move a bunch of photos across. It moved many of the photos across, but seems to have deleted them all even though some did not arrive.

Of course Pixel XL 1 has them all stored on Google Photos still and I am trying to get them back. I can see the photos when I use the Photos app in the phone but can't access them on the USB cable. It is hard to understand what goes on, but this seems relevant:

When I connect the phone to the laptop I can see a directory shown as:
> This PC > Pixel XL > Internal shared storage > DCIM > Camera
and this contains photos such as IMG_20180621_171835.jpg

However the photo appears to actually be at:
C:\Users\rayjt\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE\H0909U27\IMG_20180621_171835[1].jpg
on the windows system when I look at it with Irfanview which cannot step through the photos. So some sort of weird mapping is going on.

When I copied the photos originally they stopped at 2017-06-10 and all the photos up to 2018-06-14 where not copied but I can see them on the phone and in Google Photos.

But when I connect the phone to the laptop now it only shows me photos since 2018-06-15 which are ones taken since the attempted transfer was done.

Is there someone who understands what is happening that can tell me how to get the missing photos from the phone or from Google Photos to my laptop? There are quite a few, so I don't want to do them one at a time.

Regards, Ray Tomes

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a Pixel XL 1 and connected it by USB cable to my new HP Spectrum X360 laptop running Windows 10 to move a bunch of photos across. It moved many of the photos across, but seems to have deleted them all even though some did not arrive.
Which is why you don't Move, you Copy. then you check the copies and, if they're good, you delete the originals. As you see, if a Move fails, you don't have the original or the copy.

Of course Pixel XL 1 has them all stored on Google Photos still and I am trying to get them back. I can see the photos when I use the Photos app in the phone but can't access them on the USB cable. It is hard to understand what goes on, but this seems relevant:
The phone is looking at Google Photos to show you your pictures, but the laptop is looking at the phone, not online. Go there with the laptop and you can copy them to the laptop from Google. Google does this to free up space on the phone. The pictures are still available to the phone, but aren't taking up much space. (There are thumbnails on the phone, but they're small.)

RayTomes

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
The phone is looking at Google Photos to show you your pictures, but the laptop is looking at the phone, not online. ...
The pictures are still available to the phone, but aren't taking up much space. (There are thumbnails on the phone, but they're small.)

That is what I originally thought. But my phone shows the pictures in full detail and moves through them at a speed that shows it is not fetching them. (Anyway, this does not help me solve my problem)

Go there with the laptop and you can copy them to the laptop from Google. Google does this to free up space on the phone.

If you mean that I can download them one at a time, then that is not helpful. There are several thousand pictures. I need some sort of block select procedure and I don't see one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana