I installed an invisible app via APK but removed it, am I OK?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Long story short, I was looking for an APK and downloaded the wrong thing and didn't notice until after I installed it. Upon launching it after the installation it said "app not available in your country" and it closed.

It turned out to be an invisible app that was hiding at the bottom of my apps list under settings. It had asked for permission to "access approximate location (network based), access precise location (GPS and network-based), read phone status and identity, and modify or delete SD card contents".

I uninstalled it but since my phone is NOT rooted, is there any risk I got any info stolen or something?

I'm on Android 7.0/Samsung 8.1

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If the app is legitimate, many apps ask for permission to those things (and a lot more), so there may not be any problem.

But if it was a virus, as belodion said, there's always the possibility. And you can't do anything about it. It's not "stolen" as in "they now have it and you don't, though, it's "they sent a copy to their server - you still have your data". If you don't notice anything on your SD card missing, they didn't delete anything. (Nothing on the internal or external "SD cards" should be invisible, rooted or not. If they deleted something, you'll see that it's not there.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo