Can't get a cell signal because I'm "right between two strong network towers"?

KittyPumbala

Jan 3, 2018
Visit site
I live in an area with spotty cell service. I checked with Project Fi, and they assured me that my home gets strong cell signals on their network. Not true. I can make & receive calls over Wi-Fi, but when the power is out or Spectrum Internet is out - both of which happen a lot - I'm cut off from the world. I've been working with Tech Support for over a week and doing a lot of reports for them, and they just told me that "the coverage at your home address appears to be resting right between two strong network towers. While your phone does see the network, it can't establish a sufficient connection to place calls."

Really? The phone can't connect to anything because there are 2 "strong" network towers near me? Open Signal shows exactly one tower, and it shows -110 dB.

Does this make sense? Or are they just giving me a bunch of BS?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That depends on what they mean... If you only have one usable tower near you, BUT you are between two unusable towers with stronger signals than the usable one (i.e. Fi can only use Carrier 1 towers near you but Carrier 2 and Carrier 3 also have towers, just Fi can't use them), then the noise generated by those towers might be enough interference to cause the phone not to connect. Think you trying to talk to someone 50 feet from you while your two obnoxious little brothers are screaming their lungs out 2 feet away from you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez