Specifically it's the FastNotepad App by Igor. It seems like the app is so simple it bypasses the autorotate off and does its own thing. Anything I can do to stop this? I'll even settle for an app that forces an orientation lock on all other apps
    12-27-2018 10:40 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Which device? Some apps will only appear in a certain orientation, depending on the device. For example, on my Pixel C, the Amazon Appstore only opens in portrait orientation, even when the tablet is in landscape.
    12-28-2018 06:39 AM
    I agree with B. Diddy, some apps force a screen orientation. I have several on my tablet (Galaxy Tab S3) that force portrait (Running Circles, Mini golf King, Bejeweled Blitz as examples) or landscape (any of the Angry Birds, Pacman as a couple examples). I have some that support both orientations, one that comes to mind is a Minesweeper (think back to the Windows 95 days), and the board actually adjusts to the orientation change with different best times for each I think since the number of mines to find is different.

These are actually choices by the developer, though not supporting both orientations COULD be seen as laziness on the developer's part some apps are just plain better in one orientation over the other.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    12-28-2018 07:36 AM
    B.Diddy - Sorry, thought I could still respond when I made the question without an account. It's a Pixel 3 XL

Hallux - Thing is, on my old phone the app wouldn't rotate if I had forced orientation. So it makes it extra confusing
    12-28-2018 09:34 PM
    What was your old phone? I wonder if there might be something about the taller screen ratio that messes up how the app responds. I'd email the developer and ask if there might be an issue with the Pixel 3 XL specifically, or perhaps with all 18:9 screen phones.
    12-29-2018 06:59 AM
    Hallux - Thing is, on my old phone the app wouldn't rotate if I had forced orientation. So it makes it extra confusing
    I just tried on my tablet - I locked the orientation to portrait then launched a game that normally plays in landscape, it rotated to landscape. The developers can force the orientation.
    12-29-2018 08:24 AM