Can you get Malware/ Virus on your Android by answering questions on a website?

The answers were not personal credentials like password/usernames or account details but predetermined responses.

I have installed Norton and scan says all clear.
    12-29-2018 02:46 AM
    in a word, no.

Android does not allow random installations from websites without your permission. Even then, you have to go into settings and turn an option on before it'll even attempt an install from anything outside of Google Play. Malware will try to convince you to do this, so you do still need to be cautious.

For example, a fake anti-virus ad will claim it scanned your phone in a matter of seconds (which is impossible in the first place) and found a number of infections. A gullible person would then download an apk file that claims to be an anti-virus program guaranteed to clean the phone, but is really a virus itself. The instructions to install it would say to turn the option on to install from unknown locations, which removes a major security feature of Android. They install this app and are now infected.
    VidJunky and B. Diddy like this.
    12-29-2018 05:17 AM
    Might I add given what mooncatt has just said, most would agree that installing any anti virus apps, malware detectors or the like are simply wasting resources on your device, i.e. memory, battery, time. You're far more likely to install and allow an app too many permissions resulting in bogus ads and claims such as infestation. There are several things you can do to limit risk.
    1. Don't be the first to install. Apps with less than 100k downloads usually pop up with high ratings which is misleading. Personally I'll wait for 500k or more.
    2. Look at reviews. The app rating is important but not as important as the reviews. Compare 1 star to 5 star reviews, if the numbers are even close it's a sure bet that there's a reason to avoid the app. Regardless of how many 1 star reviews there are read at least five 1 and 2 star reviews. They'll usually tell you most of what you need to know, i.e. too many ads, popups, weird or odd permission request. They will also be the most honest reviews. 5 star reviews can be faked but no one is going to fake low ratings.
    3. After you get an app consider the permissions being requested. Does a game really need to know your location? Does a photo editing app really need internet connection or permission to make calls?
    4. (And to me this is kinda the one that not too many do but I see it so often) make a note of when you downloaded an app. However you want to do it mentally or hardcopy or whatever. Almost daily there are questions about why am I seeing this ad, why is my device acting funny, why can't I take pictures anymore. One of my first questions is what's the last thing you installed vs when did the issue start? Followed by the above list.

While Android is very unlikely to get a virus or malware the stuff we agree to is sometimes just as bad.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    12-29-2018 06:12 AM