Samsung's latest for less:Get a Galaxy S10e for $10 a month
    My phone service was shut off on January 5, but in the phone settings under 'mobile data usage' it still says it's using mobile data daily, around 5gb since my service went out. I don't understand how this is possible when there is no data connection, only wifi. I played around with it some to be sure it wasn't just the service somehow messing up and leaving my phone on one way or another, and that's definitely not the case, the phone is completely off with no way to use data (or call/text). I just don't get why it would say there's data being used when there is no data connection the the phone.
    01-16-2019 05:14 AM
    Have you toggled off Data in Settings?
    01-16-2019 06:02 AM
    I don't have the option to, when I clicked on mobile networks in the settings it says "insert valid sim card to access network settings" I haven't taken my sim card out so I assume that's because of it being out of service.
    01-16-2019 06:31 AM
    It's clearly not completely powered down, if you're using data in the background.
    01-16-2019 08:16 AM
    If your phone is on, and has your provider Sim installed, even in Airplane mode it will use data.
    01-16-2019 08:33 AM
    Airplane mode completely shuts off the radios (its entire purpose is to eliminate radio integrated
    Interference), so data use is impossible in that case.

To the OP, if you're using a built in meter on your phone, those are not always accurate. Something like an email app could attempt to check the server, sending out a data packet to start the process. Even without a return signal (due to no connection), the phone meter could still count that outgoing packet as data use.

If you still have a line active with a carrier, that should be what you check for data use. If you don't have a line active, there's no way it could use data unless there's a severe bug with the network that your phone is taking advantage of. If that's the case, congrats on the free data?

It would also help to know if you've actually tried to purposely use mobile data. I.e turning WiFi off and then try to use Chrome .
    VidJunky likes this.
    01-16-2019 09:09 AM
    Wi-Fi can be used in Airplane mode, tx and receiving data. Depending on when the provider updated their data usage to the op original view of usage, that could account for the cell data change he sees.
    Need to take multiple readings to determine actual usage, spread apart.
    01-16-2019 10:35 AM
    Wi-Fi can be used in Airplane mode, tx and receiving data.
    Yes, but only if you manually reactivate Wi-Fi after going into airplane mode. Besides, WiFi is tracked separately from mobile data.
    Groundhog 2 and VidJunky like this.
    01-16-2019 10:39 AM
    Yes, but only if you manually reactivate Wi-Fi after going into airplane mode. Besides, WiFi is tracked separately from mobile data.
    True, but I would like to see a screenshot. Carriers can 'ping' for lack of a better word, a cell phone even with data off. But, 5 gigs doesn't make sense.
    recDNA likes this.
    01-16-2019 10:42 AM
    Some app is running and not being shut off. Try going to Device Maintenance in settings. Do the Optimize and that will shut off most if not all background running apps lurking around int he shadows. You will never get better than a 90% Excellent report back on a Tab A because the McAfee malware wants to be bought and have enough of an IN with Samsung to preclude you getting 100% until you buy their unnecessary software. In an Android phone (like the S8) when you do the exact same thing, (selecting Optimize) it will go to 100% without trying to hold you hostage to buy McAfee software.
    01-16-2019 01:39 PM
    Some app is running and not being shut off. Try going to Device Maintenance in settings. Do the Optimize and that will shut off most if not all background running apps lurking around int he shadows. You will never get better than a 90% Excellent report back on a Tab A because the McAfee malware wants to be bought and have enough of an IN with Samsung to preclude you getting 100% until you buy their unnecessary software. In an Android phone (like the S8) when you do the exact same thing, (selecting Optimize) it will go to 100% without trying to hold you hostage to buy McAfee software.
    It wouldn't hurt to go to Settings, battery, and see what has been going on. But, can you elaborate on mccafee? I don't like it myself, nor trust its namesake.
    01-16-2019 07:08 PM
    Actually up to 9gb now, here are a couple screenshots of it. Sorry for the late reply, I had lost this link to the thread.
    Attached Thumbnails How is my phone using data if it's off?-screenshot_2019-01-26-01-20-26.jpg   How is my phone using data if it's off?-screenshot_2019-01-26-01-22-35.jpg  
    01-26-2019 12:24 AM