All I have is my cell phone data
    02-07-2019 06:04 PM
    You can get your phone to act as a hotspot and connect both Roku and computer to it (but bear in mind that this will count against your tethering quota, and not all plans include any tethering data at all). If you don't want to tether and you have unlimited mobile data, you can mirror the phone's screen to the Roku but you'll still need a router 'in the middle' to connect all devices to the same network; Roku doesn't support WiFi-Direct connections, so you still need a router to mirror content.
    02-07-2019 06:13 PM
    You can get your phone to act as a hotspot and connect both Roku and computer to it (but bear in mind that this will count against your tethering quota, and not all plans include any tethering data at all). If you don't want to tether and you have unlimited mobile data, you can mirror the phone's screen to the Roku but you'll still need a router 'in the middle' to connect all devices to the same network; Roku doesn't support WiFi-Direct connections, so you still need a router to mirror content.
    I don't have experience with a Roku device, but Roku built into smart TVs haven't required my Samsung devices to be on the same WiFi network.
    02-07-2019 08:00 PM
    Download whatever services you want to your pc and run an hdmi cable to the back of your TV.
    02-07-2019 10:12 PM
    Run Kodi on the J7. Run it (https://kodi.tv/download-thanks) on your laptop. Cast it from either one to the TV using a Chromecast. (Return the Roku - it won't give you anything that Kodi won't.)

Be prepared for a long learning curve or a lot of Google-Youtube time. None of the methods, Roku, Kodi or any other, is trivial to learn. (And get a good VPN.)
    02-08-2019 02:11 PM
    I think the problem here is that the OP only has mobile data, though...
    02-08-2019 02:49 PM
    Then either a hotspot and Roku or Chromecast and kodi should do it.

It's easy to cut the TV cord, it's not easy to cut the internet cord.
    hallux likes this.
    02-09-2019 12:22 PM

It's easy to cut the TV cord, it's not easy to cut the internet cord.
    #sotrue
    02-09-2019 12:45 PM