I have a laptop, a samsung j7 and roku. How can I make it so I can watch tv?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You can get your phone to act as a hotspot and connect both Roku and computer to it (but bear in mind that this will count against your tethering quota, and not all plans include any tethering data at all). If you don't want to tether and you have unlimited mobile data, you can mirror the phone's screen to the Roku but you'll still need a router 'in the middle' to connect all devices to the same network; Roku doesn't support WiFi-Direct connections, so you still need a router to mirror content.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
You can get your phone to act as a hotspot and connect both Roku and computer to it (but bear in mind that this will count against your tethering quota, and not all plans include any tethering data at all). If you don't want to tether and you have unlimited mobile data, you can mirror the phone's screen to the Roku but you'll still need a router 'in the middle' to connect all devices to the same network; Roku doesn't support WiFi-Direct connections, so you still need a router to mirror content.

I don't have experience with a Roku device, but Roku built into smart TVs haven't required my Samsung devices to be on the same WiFi network.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Run Kodi on the J7. Run it (https://kodi.tv/download-thanks) on your laptop. Cast it from either one to the TV using a Chromecast. (Return the Roku - it won't give you anything that Kodi won't.)

Be prepared for a long learning curve or a lot of Google-Youtube time. None of the methods, Roku, Kodi or any other, is trivial to learn. (And get a good VPN.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo