Help! Need App that can export home screen shortcuts to text file or bookmarks

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I use Chrome browser on my phone. I have saved tons of web links as shortcuts on the home screen. I would like to remove them, but want to save the links by either writing them to a text file, turning them into Chrome bookmarks or *some way* ANY way of being able to export or archive the links so I can remove all the home screen shortcuts.

Of course I can do them one by one by opening them and then bookmarking them.

But if I have to do this process manually it will take the rest of my life!

I need something that can automate this process.

Putting all the links in a text file automatically would be awesome. But I'm not picky, any place reasonable it can put them is fine with me... as long as I no longer need to home screen icons all over the place.

There has got to be an app to help with this! Seems basic!

HELP!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Unfortunately, I can't find any app that can do what you're asking. You may think it seems basic, but most people don't create multiple homescreen shortcuts for their favorite websites -- they create bookmarks within their browser, and with Chrome, that makes it very easy since those bookmarks sync automatically to your Google account in the cloud (assuming you aren't saving the bookmarks to the Mobile Bookmarks folder). I think your only option may be to go to each of those sites and bookmark them.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
A shortcut in Chrome is just a URL - but there's no app that can handle them except Chrome. And you're limited to what you can do in Android, or you could just copy each one and paste it into a text file.

So, as B. Diddy said, you do them individually, or you forget them - there's no way to "send them to" a text editor.

Kurt Kaufman

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
I've looked into this, and it seems the easiest way to do this is to go to each site you want to transfer, save as a Chrome bookmark (if you haven't already done so). Then, on the new phone, use the bookmarks in Chrome (which will be saved across devices) to navigate to each site and re-create shortcuts on the home screen. Cumbersome, but a bit more efficient than copy/pasting to a text document.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance