Cleaning Sticky Volume Keys

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Recently I spilled a drink on my S9 and it still works OK but the volume keys get sticky from time to time like really hard to press. I saw a video about using Isopropyl to clean the keys but not sure if that's safe to use. What is the best recommendation for cleaning the keys?

Kodak2

Jul 30, 2018
Visit site
If you attempt to use any liquid on your phone you stand a chance of making things worse. As the phone has had a drink spilt on it the drink may have penetrated to the inside of the phone and it could be starting to corrode the circuit boards. It needs inspecting by a qualified repairer to prevent any further damage.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Isopropyl alcohol is the choice for cleaning phones. We used to bathe wet phones in it, just to remove the water, if nothing else. It's not true that using any liquid can make things worse,. Even chemically pure water (triple-distilled water, for example) is safe.

I'd use a Q-tip, soaked in alcohol. Push the button in and bathe the whole area, letting the alcohol run under the button. Or, if you can, hold the button down, then swish the phone in a plastic tub of alcohol so the button area is submerged. then do the same with the other button. (I can't count how many phones I've saved by using alcohol on them.) And if you can't get 90% alcohol, 70% works fine. (At $3/quart [and boy, has that gone up] it's the cheapest "repair kit" there is for phones.)