Windows 10 WiFi options disappear

Shuvam

Mar 12, 2019
Visit site
today i intalled windows 10 32-bit on my laptop but after that my wifi option disappears there is only ethernet option it is now even in settings please help me

Eric Webb

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Curious - why install 32-bit instead of 64-bit? Every CPU these days is 64-bit, and 32-bit limits your RAM to 4 GB regardless of what's installed in the system (addressing limitations of 32-bit).

Hi all,

Just to clarify, the general purpose register sizes don't directly limit the amount of real memory (RAM). These registers limit the virtual memory (VRAM) addressing within a given program--i.e. how far from virtual location "here" is it from a virtual location "there."

BTW, the "relocatable" variable symbol names are stored at the beginning of the program on disk by the linker program, and are dynamically resolved by the program loader when loaded into RAM. They're called relocatable because they can have different virtual addresses on every load--it doesn't matter. This, of course, is done in machine language, but in English we could say something like,

"Variable name "XYZ" can be found at offset 2048 from the virtual address stored in base register 6." Thus, if base register 6 contained virtual address 1024, "XYZ" can be found at virtual address 3072. On another load, if register 6 contained 4096, then "XYZ" could then be found at virtual address 6144.

Note that the actual variable value could be located within a contiguous 4K page of RAM, or on any other one of the RAM pages allocated to the program. Distance doesn't matter.

Physical memory (RAM) is limited by the Dynamic Address Translation (DAT) hardware and the Operating System swap and page table implementations. Oh, and motherboards transistor gates which often limit their support for RAM well below the true maximum amount (e.g. 16GB RAM limit).

But a high-end motherboard can easily support 128GB with 32-bit virtual addressing. You can actually implement pageable page tables, but after a point, you'll reach diminishing returns by dedicating so much RAM to swap and page tables that the increase is obviated by the DAT work. Search "Dynamic Address Translation" for more information.

That clarified, I'd still install the 64-bit version because my MS sources tell me that only this OS is getting the full update treatments. Also, they're nice for math operations (like 512-bit encryption).

I agree that you need to get the RealTek driver for your hardware. It should be on a disc shipped with the product. RealTek is a fairly common provider. Often, Windows update carries their drivers, but can lag behind.

Note: as I get more familiar with this software, I'll post links to sources to make life easier for folks.

Rant on:

BTW, whenever possible, I prefer to build my own computers for work. Branded computers like Dell, HP, etc., unnecessarily modify the BIOS, and device and/or controller code. This locks you into using their drivers until they stop providing them. It's nothing more than a scam--like making it almost impossible to change a mobile phone battery. Of course, this also keeps folks employed, so there's that--if you can stand the work. :)

However, I know that large workplaces often must obtain volume discount contracts with major vendors with branded models, but, to me, the price paid in early obsolescence isn't always worth the support cost. So, I always *try* to obtain contracts where the vendors don't do that. I've been successful in this approach for a couple of federal government agencies. It's always worth trying.

Rant off. :)

Last edited: