I'm new to android (came from iphone 6) and just recently got the s10+. It feels like it has a huge latency for touching the screen. Is that meant to be like that?

As if you were playing a first person shooter, iphone felt like it was 20ms, while s10+ feels like its 100ms.

Thanks,
    04-05-2019 08:33 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! When are you noticing the latency? Is it only on the homescreen, or in certain apps, or everywhere? Do you have a screen protector on?
    04-05-2019 09:35 PM
    Hey! Its everywhere i've noticed. I do have a screen protector on, but it's still there when i take it off. It's very slight which makes me think it might be an android thing, and maybe not a bug thing. Thoughts?
    Thanks
    04-05-2019 11:59 PM
    Do you notice it only when animations are involved (like app opening/closing, dragging icons, etc.)?
    04-06-2019 12:11 AM
    I guess a bit of everything. Just having a play around now and its everything from scrolling, dragging icons, etc. It's just more noticeable and easier to 'feel' when scrolling how delayed it is. Again, we're not talking a huge unusable delay, just doesn't feel 1:1 with your finger touch.
    (Thanks for the reply btw)
    04-06-2019 12:22 AM
    I can't speak for the S10 line, but scrolling sluggishness can vary depending on hardware specs and additional software tweaks. More heavily skinned versions of Android may be more prone to that kind of issue. But I've also read reviews of other phones that are otherwise lightning fast, and yet scrolling is janky, which is presumably a software issue.

I get an occasional stutter on my Pixel 3 XL, but it's overall smooth and responsive (but then again, I've never used an iPhone for an extended period of time).
    04-06-2019 12:35 AM
    I have the S10 plus and not noticing any latency at all.
    04-06-2019 12:39 AM
    Hmm, perhaps ill have to compare to a friends. It might just be so small others don't notice until you've tried something else. That's my guess and im just being fussy :P
    04-06-2019 12:49 AM
    I don't know. It could be be something specific to your device. Something running in the background hogging resources?
    04-06-2019 12:52 AM
    Nah I don't believe so, (pressing the 3 lines and always closing all apps), unless theres a hidden something somewhere.
    04-06-2019 12:54 AM
    If you're constantly closing apps, that can actually impact performance. Android works best when you let the system determine when apps should be closed out of RAM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-06-2019 01:22 AM
    I'm new to android (came from iphone 6) and just recently got the s10+. It feels like it has a huge latency for touching the screen. Is that meant to be like that?

As if you were playing a first person shooter, iphone felt like it was 20ms, while s10+ feels like its 100ms.

Thanks,
    Enable 'Developer Mode' by going into Settings > System > About Phone > tap on Build Number 7 times > go back and you should see Developer Options now in your settings menu. Go in to there and scroll down. You want to change 'Window Animation Scale', 'Transition Animation Scale' and 'Animator Duration Scale' all from x1 to 0.5 or even 0.
    This is the first thing many of us Android users change on our phones and you'll see an instant boost in snappiness and scrolling around the phone

When playing games 'Game Mode' should kick in and manage the Ram etc automatically for best performance. If not then maybe best check in there first.
    methodman89 and B. Diddy like this.
    04-06-2019 02:56 AM
    I don't understand how iphones still up to this date is so much better in this area. Always when I've used an Android for a few weeks and then start using an iPhone I clearly feel the difference in scrolling and playing games etc. Why is it so hard to achieve the same low latency on the Android-side?
    06-15-2019 04:54 AM
    I don't understand how iphones still up to this date is so much better in this area. Always when I've used an Android for a few weeks and then start using an iPhone I clearly feel the difference in scrolling and playing games etc. Why is it so hard to achieve the same low latency on the Android-side?
    It's not. Your Android has an animation setting, usually 1.0,that when you follow the above reply, you will be able to change that to 0. Do it.
    06-15-2019 05:08 AM