My Samsung Galaxy 8 Active quit showing my contact names

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Have a Samsung J3 2017 (SM327). About a week ago, noticed that incoming & outgoing calls going to/from someone in my Contacts only shows the number, not the Contact name, so I often have no idea who's calling me. But when I hang up and look in the Recent call log, the Contact name shows up correctly there. I have tried every permission, every setting possible. Spent an hour with an ATT tech - nothing. Did a factory restore - nothing. Took it to a Samsumg authorized serviced center and had it completely reflashed. Fixed the prob for 2 days, then reappeared. Any info?

scottiep805

Apr 19, 2019
Visit site
Re: my s8 active quit showing contacts names when making and receiving calls

Same issue, hours on phone with at&t and Samsung support. NO HELP and please don't send me to link that has nothing to do with this problem. I have contacts and I CAN see them but I can not see the name of the person I'm calling or getting a call from on the call screen - only numbers. anything??

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

See this (one of MANY posted today) thread with a possible solution! https://forums.androidcentral.com/a...-yesterday-stopped-showing-contact-names.html

So why did you send out an update if it was just going to mess up everybody's phones and send them to an Apple store!?

For what it's worth, nobody on this board sent out the update. The updates are sent by the device manufacturer or service provider, not by AndroidCentral...

Gumby1978

Apr 18, 2019
Visit site

Also check this
Open phone dialer, top right 3 buttons is menu, Settings, Other call options, show caller information enabled

scottiep805

Apr 19, 2019
Visit site

I like how most the answers are to send everyone to other threads that go in circles or eventually tell you to do a factory reset!? So why did you send out an update if it was just going to mess up everybody's phones and send them to an Apple store!?

Try this it has worked for a few other phone issues. Contacts, Apps, Phone, Force stop.

Let me know of that fixes it.

Try what? don't understand what you mean by
Contacts, apps, phone, force stop

Gumby1978

Apr 18, 2019
Visit site
Sorry I abreviatted the first suggestion.

Go to Settings(scroll down top status bar and select the gear icon on the right), go down to Apps, go down to Phone and select, grey button on right side Force stop, then exit and try a couple calls let me know

Check this also

Open phone dialer, top right 3 buttons is menu, Settings, Other call options, show caller information enabled

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Android Central Question

The names of my contacts are not showing

The names in my contact does not show up when dialing out or receiving calls but is recorded with the name in the call logs

A

Android Central Question

My Galaxy 8 active quit showing my contact names.

Galaxy 8 active- my contacts quit showing up on calls and messages. I can't tell who is calling or texting me. I just see the number. Please help.

Lynn Bosold

Apr 19, 2019
Visit site
Only number shows up on incoming calls, no contact information.

I have a galaxy S8 active. Whenever I receive a phone call only the phone number shows on the front screen. None of the contact information shows, name or photo. If I miss the call, both the name and photo will show up as a missed call. This just started yesterday. Can someone please help me fix this?

scottiep805

Apr 19, 2019
Visit site
Sorry I abreviatted the first suggestion.

Go to Settings(scroll down top status bar and select the gear icon on the right), go down to Apps, go down to Phone and select, grey button on right side Force stop, then exit and try a couple calls let me know

I go to setting, app, and there is no phone app.

Check this also

That dident DL it but I Forse Stop Att call protect and it fixed my problem. good luck

Cody Berry

Apr 19, 2019
Visit site
Re: Contact names not showing on dialer, but do show in Recents

Same thing happened to me even factory reset everything and restored my phone hoping to have fixed it. It did not when I call someone or am being called it doesn't show the name of my saved contact and when I try to add contact from the dialer screen it just goes to my saved contact in the contacts app

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

I like how most the answers are to send everyone to other threads that go in circles or eventually tell you to do a factory reset!? So why did you send out an update if it was just going to mess up everybody's phones and send them to an Apple store!?

Try this it has worked for a few other phone issues. Contacts, Apps, Phone, Force stop.

Let me know of that fixes it.

We post threads because there are several possible answers to try. One answer may work for some people but not all.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: My Galaxy 8 active quit showing my contact names.

Also, the reason why some of the links seemed to go in circles was because a Moderator combined a bunch of threads asking the same question to consolidate the discussion (rather than having 5 different threads with many of the same questions and suggestions. I subsequently deleted most of the posts that included the links that became recursive to clean up the thread.

otsrange

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Yep, it was the ATT Call Protect app. Disabled it and problem solved. Thanks all.

Had already ck'd Snyc. Prob was ATT Call Protect app. Disabled it, issue solved.