Password required on startup

lenymo

Apr 26, 2019
Visit site
So I know most likely this is futile, but I figured I would ask anyways. Moto Z2 Force - just restarted the phone and it is asking for a password on restart. The kicker is that the secure start up option was never selected and there isn't even a lock screen password/swipe/pin enabled on the phone. Any ideas on what could be going on or how to fix it without wiping the phone?

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
So I know most likely this is futile, but I figured I would ask anyways. Moto Z2 Force - just restarted the phone and it is asking for a password on restart. The kicker is that the secure start up option was never selected and there isn't even a lock screen password/swipe/pin enabled on the phone. Any ideas on what could be going on or how to fix it without wiping the phone?
If I had to guess...a software update caused the password screen.

Most likely the password your phone is asking for is your Google Account password (your Gmail account password) As for getting past the Password Screen, doing a Factory Reset most likely will not help due to the Factory Reset Protection (FRP)

https://www.androidcentral.com/factory-reset-protection-what-you-need-know

The best plan is to try to find your Google Account password.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Password or pin?

lenymo

Apr 26, 2019
Visit site
It is asking for a password. My first thought was the gmail account password as well and I tried the passwords to both accounts tied into the phone.

Eventually did get it by just brute forcing it (only 2 tries left before it wiped itself lol), somehow it ended up being the Netflix password that unlocked it. Checked the security settings and the secure start up was not enabled.

Another strange thing that occurred - when typing in passwords it would seem to accept the password and then the phone would restart and prompt for a password again. If I typed that same password again it would get rejected.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrystalLewis