My pictures are deleted from the DCIM folder but still in the Gallery?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I connected my S9 to the computer and transferred photos/videos to my PC from the DCIM folder. I then deleted the photos from the DCIM folder thinking they would also delete from the phone. When I look at my phone, the photos are deleted from the DCIM internal storage but they are still in the Gallery. Are the photos still taking up space on phone??

Also, If I delete from the Gallery, do they delete from the Samsung cloud?

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
The "gallery" app will show you the contents of the media database. Copying and deleting files often times does not update the database until the phone is restarted or the media indexing service is manually started.

After you restart the phone:
Does the gallery app still show the photos? If yes, what folder does the app say they are in?
Using a file browser app, like "my files", can it see the photos in the DCIM folder tree (or other location)?

If the "gallery" is aware of the Samsung Cloud service, that app may show you photos on both the phone and the Cloud. We will need someone with knowledge of the Samsung Cloud service to jump in here....

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! And just to be sure -- are you referring to the Samsung Gallery app, or the Google Photos app? Google Photos can also back up your photos automatically to the Google Photos cloud, so those photos can also show up in the Google Photos gallery even after you deleted the original copy from the phone's storage.