Question Photo Dates in Gallery on New Phone

AG4Phone

Nov 23, 2023
Visit site
Hello. I recently purchased a new Xiaomi phone. I migrated all my files and photos from the old Xiaomi phone to the new one. When I look at the photos in File Manager or Google Photos, the correct date info was transferred. However, when I use Gallery to browse my photos (my preferred method), most of the photos have the date of when I transferred them to the new phone, which makes it difficult to find specific photos.

I know that when copying photos to a new device, that the new device gives them the date of when they were transferred, not when they were taken. However, I used the Xiaomi transfer app, and didn't do a simple copy. Also, as mentioned, File Manager has the photos in proper date order.

Thanks.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Every photo file will also contain some internal metadata about itself, like creation date, modified date, etc. Some apps display the file based on one of those aspects so it sounds like the file manager app you're using is showing the creation date and the Gallery app is showing the date you transferred it over. The good part is those dates appear to be retained, the bad part is we, the users, have to cope with how app developers opt to use different those different dates.
Try going through all the Settings options in the Gallery app to see if there's a way to change what dates are shown.

Another option is try using a different Gallery app. The default Gallery app that comes with most of our phones is a general purpose media viewer with features that will be fine for most consumers but third-party photo managers often have more extensive feature sets with more options to customize the user interface. I'd recommend you try the Gallery Pro app from Simple Mobile Tools. It's Open Source and no ads, and be sure to dig into the app's Settings menu to set the app to suit your needs.

Reactions: mustang7757

AG4Phone

Nov 23, 2023
Visit site
Every photo file will also contain some internal metadata about itself, like creation date, modified date, etc. Some apps display the file based on one of those aspects so it sounds like the file manager app you're using is showing the creation date and the Gallery app is showing the date you transferred it over. The good part is those dates appear to be retained, the bad part is we, the users, have to cope with how app developers opt to use different those different dates.
Try going through all the Settings options in the Gallery app to see if there's a way to change what dates are shown.

Another option is try using a different Gallery app. The default Gallery app that comes with most of our phones is a general purpose media viewer with features that will be fine for most consumers but third-party photo managers often have more extensive feature sets with more options to customize the user interface. I'd recommend you try the Gallery Pro app from Simple Mobile Tools. It's Open Source and no ads, and be sure to dig into the app's Settings menu to set the app to suit your needs.
Thank you. I'll try that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter