How do I disable ALL app notifications except one or two and make OFF the default for new apps?

Andrew Brehm

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I appear to have 50 apps on my phone that are all allowed to interrupt me whenever they want. I found that I can turn notifications off individually but new apps apparently inherit permissions to annoy and there is no obvious way to apply a default. Any ideas?

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
I appear to have 50 apps on my phone that are all allowed to interrupt me whenever they want. I found that I can turn notifications off individually but new apps apparently inherit permissions to annoy and there is no obvious way to apply a default. Any ideas?

Depending on the phone, open settings,notifications, toggles all off, then just turn on the ones you want.
I recommend you look around all the settings and familiarize yourself as this is a basic process. Good luck

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Or go to Settings>Sounds>Default Notification Sound and change that to None. Then, for the apps you want to hear from, go to their Notification settings and select a specific tone.

Andrew Brehm

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Depending on the phone, open settings,notifications, toggles all off, then just turn on the ones you want.
I recommend you look around all the settings and familiarize yourself as this is a basic process. Good luck

I found that if I disable all, I cannot enable specific ones, only again all of them. I don't want to try again because I have currently disabled a lot of the apps already and don't want to risk resetting them.

I have been using Android for years. I never did find a way to disable notifications by default or for all apps except a few.

I tried disabling notifications for every single app, but the screen keeps scrolling back to the beginning after each app and it became difficult to keep track of which app I had already done, not even considering the time required to do this task.