Facebook Messenger not connecting on Android Oxygen OS (OnePlus 2)

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

A problem has started occurring recently with Facebook Messenger on my phone.
It says 'connecting' forever and is not properly sending or receiving any messages.

Rebooting my phone or uninstalling/reinstalling Messenger fixes the problem temporarily but it reoccurs after a few hours. Simply closing the app and reopening it does not fix the problem.

I've updated Android/Oxygen OS to the latest version and deleting my apps cache with no success.

This program has worked for years and I haven't installed any new apps recently to cause this problem.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Have you tried clearing both the app cache and app data for FB Messenger in Settings>Apps​? You'll have to log back into your account after you open the app again.

Dhirallin

Sep 10, 2019
Visit site
Yes I've tried deleting both the app cache and app data. When I delete the data, then Messenger asks me to login again, but then says it can't login and to check my internet connection (which works fine for every other app.) Then if I uninstall Messenger and reinstall it, it works for a few hours, as mentioned above.

The problem occurs on both Wifi and on mobile data.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
But then the OP would have to find an apk for the previous version of FB Messenger, which can be a hassle (and also potentially risky, depending on where you get the apk from).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa