How can I upgrade android software 4.4.4 on ultra no longer supported by motorola?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I purchase my ultra from Verizon 7/14 and switched to Straight Talk 7/16. I just learned that I never received any software from Verizon and I need at least version 6.0 for a certain app. I am not a techie, and didn't know about software updates. Is there a site other than Motorola where the current software may be downloaded? Thanks. Frank Habit

Last edited by a moderator:

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
In short - no. Motorola would have developed the update for the device. There may be a 3rd-party version of Android for that device but for a non-techie it's probably something you don't want to try to tackle.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

FHabit

Sep 29, 2019
Visit site
Thank you hallux. As a non-techie, it seems to be that a download is probably sitting on a Motorola or other server somewhere and downloading should be no big deal. I really like my phone and hate to go through the hassle of getting a new one.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
There is rooting and romming, but you'd need to unlock the bootloader. Motorola is obliging in that respect, but it may not be possible if the phone is locked to a carrier.

FHabit

Sep 29, 2019
Visit site
Thank you, belodian. Was able to transfer phone to other service so I assume it is not locked. Is there a web site or you tube on executing rooting and romming and unlocking boatloader? Thanks.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Thank you hallux. As a non-techie, it seems to be that a download is probably sitting on a Motorola or other server somewhere and downloading should be no big deal. I really like my phone and hate to go through the hassle of getting a new one.
Motorola never created it. It would have to be a ROM created by someone.