GPS - only battery saving mode is available?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Android version: 6.0-01008
Tablet model: Alcatel Pixi 4 7"
Model number: 8063

Problem:

In Settings-->Location, the "Mode" has only one option: Battery saving.

No other options are there, so no "Device Only" (GPS)" and no "High Accuracy" (GPS + WiFi + cell towers).

As a consequence, I can't use GPS when I'm on a road.

How can get the other options back in the menu?

Thanks a lot!

fenyo

Oct 5, 2019
Visit site
That's exactly my problem - I travel a lot.

In various sources I've read that (quote) "GPS does not use data, navigation apps that require a server connection do use data. You can happily use GPS in a phone without a sim card."

I use offline maps like OpenStreetMap.

And as far as I remember, this tablet was able to use GPS a couple years ago, when I traveled with it without any wifi or data.

My main problem is that there are no other options in the menu setting:

Screenshot_20191005-172017.png

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That's exactly my problem - I travel a lot.

In various sources I've read that (quote) "GPS does not use data, navigation apps that require a server connection do use data. You can happily use GPS in a phone without a sim card."

I use offline maps like OpenStreetMap.

And as far as I remember, this tablet was able to use GPS a couple years ago, when I traveled with it without any wifi or data.

My main problem is that there are no other options in the menu setting:

View attachment 311153
You would need to download the offline maps when your connected to WiFi, but still not going to get real time maps and direction without data .

fenyo

Oct 5, 2019
Visit site
You would need to download the offline maps when your connected to WiFi, but still not going to get real time maps and direction without data .

Thanks for your reply! I use offline google maps and OpenStreetMap as well. The maps work fine, but my position is not indicated, because of my tablet's location menu setting, which is on the above screenshot.

I read in many articles that for the GPS system to work, no internet connection is needed. If I only could switch the location settings to "high" then the GPS would work. However, there is only Battery saving on the menu list (the screenshot is in the tablet's native language).

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The GPS should work - there should be a "Location" pulldown to enable it. Without mobile data, you'll need a WiFi connection to set the destination (the map apps work by latitude/longitude, so they need an internet connection to convert a street address into lat/lon), but after that - for that trip, at least, you should be fine. (If you load an app like My Places, it keeps a list of addresses that you've set up [like Contacts], then when you choose to navigate to one, it sends the lat/lon data to Google Maps, so once you have a list of all your destinations, you don't need WiFi, you just have to download local maps for Google Maps.)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for your reply! I use offline google maps and OpenStreetMap as well. The maps work fine, but my position is not indicated, because of my tablet's location menu setting, which is on the above screenshot.

I read in many articles that for the GPS system to work, no internet connection is needed. If I only could switch the location settings to "high" then the GPS would work. However, there is only Battery saving on the menu list (the screenshot is in the tablet's native language).
https://removeandreplace.com/2014/0...he first and best method,maps to your SD card.

This what I found

fenyo

Oct 5, 2019
Visit site
Thank you for your answer Rukbat! The problem is, that in my tablet's "Location" menu settings, there is only "Battery saving" option, which won't allow the GPS to work. There should be "Device Only" (GPS)" and "High Accuracy" (GPS + WiFi + cell towers) options. If I could choose "High Accuracy", then the device's GPS would be enabled. I already got my downloaded offline maps, so the only thing I need is having these options back in the Location settings.

fenyo

Oct 5, 2019
Visit site
Thank you for the link, very kind of you! These apps would be all great solutions, if I could start the GPS on my device. I have the "Location" switched on (enabled) at the pulldown bar, however, in my tablet's "Location" menu settings, there is only "Battery saving" option, which won't allow the GPS to work. There should be "Device Only" (GPS)" and "High Accuracy" (GPS + WiFi + cell towers) options. If I could choose "High Accuracy", then the device's GPS would be enabled. I already got my downloaded offline maps, so the only thing I need is having these options back in the Location settings. How can I get these options back?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for the link, very kind of you! These apps would be all great solutions, if I could start the GPS on my device. I have the "Location" switched on (enabled) at the pulldown bar, however, in my tablet's "Location" menu settings, there is only "Battery saving" option, which won't allow the GPS to work. There should be "Device Only" (GPS)" and "High Accuracy" (GPS + WiFi + cell towers) options. If I could choose "High Accuracy", then the device's GPS would be enabled. I already got my downloaded offline maps, so the only thing I need is having these options back in the Location settings. How can I get these options back?
Did you have a recent update that changed this?

fenyo

Oct 5, 2019
Visit site
No, the last Android (system update) happened almost 2 years ago, since then only the apps have been updated regularly. And I remember that I was able to use the GPS last year while traveling, without any WiFi connection. So I guess it's clearly the "Battery saving" Location setting is preventing the GPS function to start and work properly.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Try a few things. Check for updates under Settings, software.
2nd, clear your cache partition and reboot.
Download for offline use the maps you want.
Try to turn on GPS.
Post a screenshot if not successful.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non