I can't find specific photos on my device anywhere.

Oct 15, 2019
Visit site
I believe I have used the Google chrome app (I think) to download some png. and jpg. photos and I cannot find them in the directory which is Downloads where usually the things I download go. They simply are not there, but when I go to for example upload a profile picture for a specific app it asks me from where do I want to upload the photo so when I go to "Downloads" the photos show up, and the problem is I want to delete these said photos, I can't find them anywhere else except when I want to upload a photo somewhere.. Help!?

Oct 15, 2019
Visit site
Hidden photos in gallery.

In the "Downloads" folder on my phone where downloaded images usually are directed to. There are specific photos that are not showing. The only time they will show is when I go to a website for example to upload a photo, when I choose the directory to upload a photo from, that being "Downloads" the photos then show up there. However, they will not show in the gallery itself or in the file manager/explorer, the thing is I would like to delete these photos, how can I delete something that I cannot find at all, the thing is I know the filenames as well, and when I search the entire phone it comes up with nothing. Please help! And thank you.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Hidden photos in gallery.

First, try to stick to one post. You won't get an immediate answer. Just keep refreshing the page, or keep checking back. (Or subscribe to it so you get an email when someone posts to it.)

Second, after you download image files, are you restarting the phone? Or running media.Re.Scan? Downloading doesn't tell the phone that there's a new picture.

Oct 15, 2019
Visit site
Firstly thank you all for the help so far. Secondly, I have downloaded the images like I said and they have saved in the Downloads folder on my phone. The problem is no matter where I go to find them I will never be able to unless I am uploading images somewhere i.e profile picture or uploading them online. I really want to get rid of these pictures and I can't find them anywhere, also I have used that media rescan application but it comes up empty? Perhaps I'm not using it right.. I don't know..

Oct 15, 2019
Visit site
I am genuinely getting fed up now. I seriously don't know the problem at all. I know for CERTAIN that the images don't exist on my phone, I've searched everywhere, in every file, in every folder... This is impossible.. Look, when I go to upload a photo somewhere it asks from where, so I say "Downloads" all of a sudden the images appear, with file sizes and file names, so they are in that directory known as "Downloads" however, they won't show up unless I view them from there, gaahh!! It's so annoying to be able to see them but not to be able to select them and delete them.. What in the world is the problem here!?

Oct 15, 2019
Visit site
On the Android there is an app called "Files" it is simply called "Files" I don't believe you can access this app anyway it's the one with the blue icon with a white folder on it. This is the app that opens when I select to upload an image. And within that app in the "Downloads" directory the images are visible.. This much is known..

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Let's start with what device you have and what version of Android it's running. The apps installed on the device will vary based on that. The "Files" app you describe sounds like the one on the Pixel devices, have you opened it form the app drawer to see what that shows you?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If you're certain you used Chrome to download the images (and not the Google search app), then open Chrome, tap Menu, then Downloads. Do you see the files there?

If, on the other hand, you realized that you downloaded the images using the Google app, then go to Settings>Apps, select the Google app, then Permissions, and see if Storage permission is turned on. If not (which is the default, for some odd reason), that means any file you download using the Google search app is only accessible by the Google app (in the Collections tab). If you download a file with Storage permission turned on, then those files go to the standard /Download directory.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mehammed