This is on a Google Pixel 3 with Android 10. When I open the keyboard in Messages or Gmail, the microphone that I often use for input is crossed out. The microphone works in Google search, Google Keep, and voice recorder.

What I have tried so far:

Made sure phone is updated to latest software

Restart the phone, change voice permissions for Messages, Gmail, and Gboard apps from allow to deny, restart phone, change back from deny to allow for all three apps, restart phone.

Go into System, lanuage and input, virtual keyboard and make sure that Google Voice Typing is on.

From the keyboard in Messenger, click G then settings, and make sure that "Use voice typing" is on.

Any help gratefully accepted.

Bob
    11-08-2019 02:12 PM
    Hi, welcome to Android Forums

I'd like to recommend creating a account so me or other members can assist you, as guest have limitations in replying here and if we need further Information to communicate with you.

I'll provide a link to register, please come back to your post so we can further assist

https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=409154
    11-08-2019 02:16 PM
    Can try clearing cache,data,force stop message app or Gboard
    11-08-2019 02:17 PM
    UPDATE: PROBLEM RESOLVED: if you click enough buttons things become clear.

In messages, I must have been on an email address when I tried this because when I click on the crossed out microphone it says, "not supported for email addresses." So when I try to start a text using a mobile number the microphone works.

In Gmail, while still in the "to" line, I get "Voice typing not supported for email addresses," but as soon as I move in to the subject line or the body of the email the microphone show up.

Thanks, I am a member and had not thought to log in. Now logged in. I have now cleared data and cache for Messages, Gboard, and Gmail and also force stopped all three and restarted. No change. Microphone is crossed out when I try to compose a message in Messages or Gmail.

I should also mention that I went into safe mode and the problem persisted.
    mustang7757 and B. Diddy like this.
    11-08-2019 02:30 PM
    UPDATE: PROBLEM RESOLVED: if you click enough buttons things become clear.

In messages, I must have been on an email address when I tried this because when I click on the crossed out microphone it says, "not supported for email addresses." So when I try to start a text using a mobile number the microphone works.

In Gmail, while still in the "to" line, I get "Voice typing not supported for email addresses," but as soon as I move in to the subject line or the body of the email the microphone show up.

Thanks, I am a member and had not thought to log in. Now logged in. I have now cleared data and cache for Messages, Gboard, and Gmail and also force stopped all three and restarted. No change. Microphone is crossed out when I try to compose a message in Messages or Gmail.

I should also mention that I went into safe mode and the problem persisted.
    Glad you got it sorted out
    BobGates likes this.
    11-08-2019 03:05 PM
    thanks
    mustang7757 likes this.
    11-08-2019 03:16 PM