Use helium backup files with another app

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Guys I have some helium backup game files in the cloud, is there any other way to backup those files without Helium?

nandoedp

Feb 17, 2020
Visit site
Hello @mustang7757
Actually its on a android emulator, I bought Helim couple years ago just to save some game datas and the Helium seems just broken nowadays, too many erros to just do a simple backup, so I was wondering if theres any other way to reuse those AB and JSON files.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hello @mustang7757
Actually its on a android emulator, I bought Helim couple years ago just to save some game datas and the Helium seems just broken nowadays, too many erros to just do a simple backup, so I was wondering if theres any other way to reuse those AB and JSON files.
I tag @Rukbat see if he could help
And thank you so much for your time!
Welcome to AC forums!
Your welcome!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
No, you need helium on an older phone, then something like Apk Extractor to turn the games into an apk, then install them on your current phone. (Assuming they'll run. A lot of older games won't run on current versions of Android.)

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
No, you need helium on an older phone, then something like Apk Extractor to turn the games into an apk, then install them on your current phone. (Assuming they'll run. A lot of older games won't run on current versions of Android.)
The problem with this option is it doesn't backup app data, only the main app itself. So if your app doesn't have cloud based sync or some other independent way of storing data, you'll have to start from scratch. It is still better than nothing and I've used it too, but Helium would save the app data as well when it was still functional.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Helium backs up both the app and the data. Once you have it installable, you can manually extract the data (usually a SQLite file) and install it on the new phone after installing the app.

wsbqwer

Feb 25, 2021
Visit site
In a different post you mentioned using Helium to move an app from one tab to another without loosing any data eg coins etc does Helium work only android to android or can you use it to transfer apps from android to windows 10 or visa versa

Diablo WAZ TAKEN

Aug 3, 2022
Visit site
Hey guys, I have a problem.

I felt like rooting my old Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0 with all my games on it, so I bought helium and used it to back up the games. Unfortunately, I forgot to select 'Back up apps' and I accidentally backed up only the app data and then wiped and reflashed the tab, only to find out that the games themselves weren't backed up. When I try to restore them, Helium told me to go re-download the apps from the play store, but since the versions of the games that used to be on the tab are so old, they have been updated by the developers to new versions that don't support Android 4.2 jellybean. I went and downloaded old apk versions of these apps, but even after that, Helium still tells me to download from the play store, which I can't do. Can someone help me to convert all the .an and .json files into app data that the apps can use? All help will be appreciated

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hey guys, I have a problem.

I felt like rooting my old Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0 with all my games on it, so I bought helium and used it to back up the games. Unfortunately, I forgot to select 'Back up apps' and I accidentally backed up only the app data and then wiped and reflashed the tab, only to find out that the games themselves weren't backed up. When I try to restore them, Helium told me to go re-download the apps from the play store, but since the versions of the games that used to be on the tab are so old, they have been updated by the developers to new versions that don't support Android 4.2 jellybean. I went and downloaded old apk versions of these apps, but even after that, Helium still tells me to download from the play store, which I can't do. Can someone help me to convert all the .an and .json files into app data that the apps can use? All help will be appreciated
Welcome to AC!

That's very old Android version, maybe try XDA Forums see if anything comes up but that's just way too old and that Android version isn't compatible anymore

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using AC Forums mobile app