How do I move files between folders on SD Card?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I've looked everywhere for a solution for quite some time now and it's driving me wild. Ever since updating my android version a while back, my apps have been having issues with my SD Card. To specify: My file manager works perfectly fine, and I can read/write files without an issue. My permissions are all set, and even the apps in question can move TO the SD Card and read its contents flawlessly. The issue is moving from or between SD Card folders. I store most of my photos on my SD Card, and so if I'm in, say, my gallery app and want to move images natively from the app between folders to organize them better, I get the following error:

"An Error Occurred: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Failed to determine if extSdCard/[image] is a child of [string of numbers I don't recognize]:
java.io.FileNotFoundException:
No root for extSdCard"

This happens every time, without fail. Everything else works perfectly fine. It won't move the original file, but it will send a corrupted 0.00B copy to the destination. If I use a file explorer, it moves without any hitch. It's only apps that aren't a file explorer. Anyone have any ideas?

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
A couple of things.
SD Cards are best suited for storage excluding apps for your phone.
To transfer between files, since it seems the card is failing, insert into a pc. Copy everything, then move around what you want.
Good luck

Feb 19, 2020
Visit site
OP here. I'm well aware of that, there are no apps on my SD Card, only photos/videos/etc. It's pretty much a brand new card, less than a year old. It works perfectly fine in file managers and everything else, I just can't move files between folders on the SD Card in things outside of my file managing apps. In my file managing apps, I have 0 issues whatsoever. I've had SDs fail in the past, I'm certain this one isn't failing. Yes, it also works fine on PC.
This seems to be a permissions issue regarding how android deals with external storage permissions following android software updates, because it only started when I updated. I should add that my error message only comes up on one app, but in other apps when trying to move it either takes me to an SD Card permission screen before failing to move, or gives me a super generic error message. I figured this would be most descriptive.

TL;DR: New SD, works perfectly fine on PC/android, only issue is moving files between folders in non-file managing apps. Can move to, but once it's on the SD Card, moving once again to something else gives me errors in-app. I can easily just move w/file manager, but I really want to get this issue fixed for all my apps.

Feb 19, 2020
Visit site
My guess is that it has something to do with the Lollipop update, which might have messed up how some of these apps access the SD card. Did you already try wiping the cache partition? https://www.t-mobile.com/support/de...-3/wipe-cache-partition-samsung-galaxy-note-3

I saw people mentioning how it and Kitkat changed how writing to SD Cards worked due to "security issues". I don't recall if I wiped it or not following the updating of the OS. Just to be sure-- Are there any things I should watch out for if I encounter any errors during the wipe? It won't remove/change any settings within my apps, would it?

I look up that error code and it's when someone try to make the sd card internal storage , is the phone rooted ?

Nope, I'm neither making it internal storage nor have I ever rooted it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Wiping the cache partition should not affect any personal data. It's not a bad idea to take this opportunity to make sure all of your important data is backed up somewhere, though.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
It's a SanDisk. I already mentioned it works on PC just fine, and it's a few months shy of a year old. I've dealt with corrupt SDs, I'm pretty certain that's not what the issue is.
In a year, a micro SD card in a smart phone can easily exceed its rating for read/write cycles.
As I stated, copy while you can to a pc, and bust open the wallet for a new SD card. Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze