I want to clear my cache partition to see if it will improve my battery life. I can't figure out how to get into recovery mode. Holding down power and volume down brings me to a fastboot mode. No other combination does anything.
    02-24-2020 02:41 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Are you following these steps? https://www.hardreset.info/devices/a...enfone-v-live/
    02-24-2020 02:47 PM
    Also look at your battery stats see if anything high
    02-24-2020 02:58 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Are you following these steps? https://www.hardreset.info/devices/a...enfone-v-live/
    Yes, but that's not my phone. That's a Zenfone V Live (V500KL). Mine is the Zenfone V (V520KL). The steps there are to hold down the power button and the volume down button, but that brings up the fastboot mode, as I stated. I'm looking for the recovery mode.
    02-25-2020 10:57 AM
    Try
    Turn off the device
    Press and hold Volume Down key and then press and hold Power Key for a while
    Release all key when ASUS ZenFone logo appears on the screen
    You should now in the Android Recovery
    Use Volume keys to select and Power key to confirm selection
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-25-2020 12:12 PM
    Hmm, strange that the steps would be different for a similar model. Most manufacturers use the same steps for their whole line

I found this: https://www.hardreset.info/devices/a...recovery-mode/. The main difference is that after pressing and holding Power and Vol Up to turn on the phone, release Power button only when the ASUS logo appears, but keep the Vol Up button held down until you hopefully see the Recovery Menu appear.
    02-25-2020 02:59 PM
    Hmm, strange that the steps would be different for a similar model. Most manufacturers use the same steps for their whole line

I found this: https://www.hardreset.info/devices/a...recovery-mode/. The main difference is that after pressing and holding Power and Vol Up to turn on the phone, release Power button only when the ASUS logo appears, but keep the Vol Up button held down until you hopefully see the Recovery Menu appear.
    Yes, it's that's the case. Hopefully we'll find out if it works
    02-25-2020 03:42 PM
    Try
    Turn off the device
    Press and hold Volume Down key and then press and hold Power Key for a while
    Release all key when ASUS ZenFone logo appears on the screen
    You should now in the Android Recovery
    Use Volume keys to select and Power key to confirm selection
    Thanks, but as I stated, this takes me to the fastboot options menu. The Asus logo does not appear on the screen.
    02-28-2020 12:31 PM

I've seen that website and I tried this. It just boots like a normal power up, the volume up button seems to have no effect.

On another note, I don't think I can trust that website. If you look at the detailed directions, it says "Firstly, switch off the mobile by pressing the Power key for a few seconds." That's definitely not the correct way to turn off a phone, it also doesn't work for my phone.

Then if you look at the picture directions, it says to press the volume up button, but the red arrow is clearly pointing to the volume down button.

Is there a way to get into recovery mode through the fastboot option menu? I don't actually know what that is, but it seems to be the only menu I can access.
    02-28-2020 12:37 PM
    Look to see if this is at the bottom of the screen after your power uo/volume
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-28-2020 12:38 PM
    No I don't, but I can get into Safe mode from the fastboot menu. Is there a way to get to the recovery menu in Safe mode?

Incidentally, I chatted with Asus' customer service and they told me that recovery mode is accessed by holding the power button, the start button and volume up. But it still didn't work. Probably just time for a new phone.
    03-03-2020 10:25 PM