Save big + get 3 months free! Sign up for ExpressVPN today

Can anyone tell me ALL the possible ways my old phone without a sim card is showing the same ip address as my current active phone? See pictures for details
    Forgot to mention i have no internet provider or router, just these 2 phones with the active one being with at&t

I posted this in google community yesterday and to simplify my explanation and avoid confusing the reader i blanked out the date. The date of the non active phone was the 13th. Full story is I think someone I live with stole my non active phone but when I've asked about it the person says they don't know where it is. Well I think that I have proof that that person has my non active phone because I think they turned the hotspot on, on my active phone thus giving them both the same ip address. But I'm not 100% on that so I'm trying to rule everything else out first. I took these screenshots at the same time on the night of the 13th and have since locked the non active phone
    Attached Thumbnails My old phone without sim card shows same ip address as my active phone.-received_516480745725324-2.png   My old phone without sim card shows same ip address as my active phone.-received_2615195862085342-2.png  
    03-20-2020 11:38 PM
    Welcome to Android Central. Thank you for creating an account.

I had to go and do a little research on this because I didn't know. As it turns out the router determines the IP address and the SIM plays no part in this assignment. You can read more about this here in this link... https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...MUZWqzWklTjERp

It sounds like your router has assigned the IP and they can assign Static or Dynamic address. Static is exactly what it sounds like. This is your IP and nothing else matters. Dynamic takes into account several factors which can include, when the device was added, the components that make up the device or the connection and the type of device. Given this information I would be curious if, let's say, all Android devices connecting to your router are being assigned the same IP or if this IP is just the address of your router then anything passing through it appears as the same IP?
    03-21-2020 12:06 AM
    I dont have a router only these 2 cell phones with the active one being a at&t phone
    03-21-2020 01:01 AM
    since you blocked out the last activity date on the old phone, it makes me wonder what you are hiding. the ip address is based on activity on the phone. ip address is based on your data connection whether it be wifi or mobile. without knowing that date you are hiding, it is tough to give a specific answer. could it be the date on the old phone was when you last had the sims in it and the other more recent
    03-21-2020 01:09 AM
    03-21-2020 01:20 AM
    I dont have a router only these 2 cell phones with the active one being a at&t phone
    The best I can do is offer you this link... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT
    Referenced in this article... https://www.quora.com/Is-it-possible...ve-the-same-IP

It explains how two devices can have essentially the same IP. It goes back to the first link I shared talking about IPv4.
    03-21-2020 01:47 AM
    I posted this in google community yesterday and to simplify my explanation and avoid confusing the reader i blanked out the date. The date of the non active phone was the 13th. Full story is I think someone I live with stole my non active phone but when I've asked about it the person says they don't know where it is. Well I think that I have proof that that person has my non active phone because I think they turned the hotspot on, on my active phone thus giving them both the same ip address. But I'm not 100% on that so I'm trying to rule everything else out first
    03-21-2020 02:10 AM
    Have you tried to locate the device using find my device?
    03-21-2020 06:39 PM
    Yes but the phone is off i have followed these links but either I'm not educated enough on what it says or its not answering my question entirely
    03-21-2020 06:57 PM
    So, without cell service either device wouldn't be usable, correct? The only way 2 devices could show logins from the same IP address would be to go through the same internet connection. When you're home, or in some other location, do you connect to WiFi and had both devices used that connection at some point, even if at different times?
    03-21-2020 08:41 PM