Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo - battery life draining quickly

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo, which I think is quite an old phone.

The problem I have with it is that the battery life is draining very fast. It went from 100% to 56% in about 4 hours. Wasn’t using it that much, just checked Facebook for about half an hour and replying to texts.

I have turned power saving mode on and have disabled a lot of the apps as was recommended on this forum, but nothing has worked.

Anyone have any suggestions? If I need to buy a new battery, would I be better off buying a new phone as it is so old?

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
Do you like the phone?
If so, keep and get a battery.
One of last Samsung's where changing the battery was easy... i was still using my S4+ up until half a year ago as my primary phone.
Heat blew the display so I took the plunge and got a Note 10+... wuv it.

With a new battery try to not charge over 72% or so to prolong it's life and capacity.
LI's don't like being "topped off".

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That's a 5 year-old phone, and presumably a 5 year-old battery, so it's likely deteriorating. I agree with trying a replacement battery, but keep in mind that any replacements have probably also been lying around on a shelf for about 5 years, so those might also have deteriorated.

There could be other issues as well -- e.g., poor cell signal can eat battery quickly. How's your cell signal?

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That's a 5 year-old phone, and presumably a 5 year-old battery, so it's likely deteriorating. I agree with trying a replacement battery, but keep in mind that any replacements have probably also been lying around on a shelf for about 5 years, so those might also have deteriorated.

There could be other issues as well -- e.g., poor cell signal can eat battery quickly. How's your cell signal?

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

LI's suffer little from sitting in a cool place unused. How long they can sit unused is finite because they self discharge at the rate of 2-3% @ month. So they try to rotate stock.

Once they get to their critical low voltage they self shutdown and become permanently unusable.
This is a safety protocol in their built in controller to prevent fires and explosions from trying to charge an LI that lost its polarity which can happen as they approach zero volts during self discharge.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
LI's suffer little from sitting in a cool place unused. How long they can sit unused is finite because they self discharge at the rate of 2-3% @ month. So they try to rotate stock.

Fair enough, but I'd wonder how diligent the online sellers are who would be selling batteries for old phones like this one.

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
Fair enough, but I'd wonder how diligent the online sellers are who would be selling batteries for old phones like this one.

The biggest concern is getting a OEM battery. I learned that lesson over a decade ago with Canon LI's vs aftermarket ones.
All LI's aren't equal!!!
Avoid 3rd party ones especially with Samsung. Like Canon, Samsung LI's are high quality and should provide years of reliable service life.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Once they get to their critical low voltage they self shutdown and become permanently unusable.
This is a safety protocol in their built in controller to prevent fires and explosions from trying to charge an LI that lost its polarity which can happen as they approach zero volts during self discharge.
Even with proper stock rotation and such, the batteries are still most likely old and deteriorated. With such an old phone, I wouldn't trust any "new" battery, OEM or otherwise.

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
Even with proper stock rotation and such, the batteries are still most likely old and deteriorated. With such an old phone, I wouldn't trust any "new" battery, OEM or otherwise.

After 3 years or so that batteries would not be chargeable owning to self discharge rates.
2 years according to this:
https://www.batteryuniverse.com/blog/tags/shelf-life/

As long as the new pack accepts a charge it is not degraded much unless stored at high temps during its self life.
A partially discharge LI degrades very little when stored. I have ones over a decade old running strong.
This is not a NiCad pack!!!