Android Central Transformer Prime Review

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Very nice review! I'm glad to see that one of the negatives should be getting addressed soon, the lack of ICS at launch. ASUS has made it a point to say that ICS is coming to the Prime and I'm guessing they chose to launch now with Honeycomb to get their tablet out in the holiday season.

Loudaccord, if you want to see some benchmarks, AnandTech (AnandTech - ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime & NVIDIA Tegra 3 Review) has some but they are not all against the GalaxyTab, most are against the original Transformer, the Kindle (who knows why?), and the iPad 2. People are already commenting how the iPad 2 is "an efficiency marvel" etc because it did better on some benchmarks. Are these benchmark comparisons against the iPad 2 even valid? The OS's are totally different and Honeycomb lacks hardware acceleration (at least, it isn't like ICS's). It would be interesting to see what happens once ICS is on the Prime.

Last edited:
Reactions: loudaccord

loudaccord

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Loudaccord, if you want to see some benchmarks, AnandTech (AnandTech - ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime & NVIDIA Tegra 3 Review) has some but they are not all against the GalaxyTab, most are against the original Transformer, the Kindle (who knows why?), and the iPad 2. People are already commenting how the iPad 2 is "an efficiency marvel" etc because it did better on some benchmarks. Are these benchmark comparisons against the iPad 2 even valid? The OS's are totally different and Honeycomb lacks hardware acceleration (at least, it isn't like ICS's). It would be interesting to see what happens once ICS is on the Prime.

Thank you for the link, I am super impressed, both at the Prime and iPad2. I knew the web browsing was fast on the iPad, didn't realize it benchmarked that fast. The Transformer Prime just seems to blow everything away. It's about 3 months ahead of anything else. A+ to Asus.

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the link, I am super impressed, both at the Prime and iPad2. I knew the web browsing was fast on the iPad, didn't realize it benchmarked that fast. The Transformer Prime just seems to blow everything away. It's about 3 months ahead of anything else. A+ to Asus.

You're welcome! :)

sledgie#AC

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Phil, great job with the review.
I've never been envious of you...until now. My only gripe is... didn't you say somewhere along the line your wife has an iPad2? Can you explain how the tablet feels compared to it.

Now, I personally hate the iPad2. But it does feel really nice in the hand thanks to ripping off other manufacturer's and patents. It is a marvel wonder that they crammed everything in that iPad2 that they did and it felt so good. I've seen quite a bunch of Android tablets from other countries, and some of them using crap garbage processor components, and over half of them couldn't get the edges around the tablet to seal completely!

So what I really what to know is....how does 8.3mm feel in the hand? The edges I see are much more curved than the Transformer. I really disliked the hard, rectangular feel with sharp edges on the Transformer. It's one of the reasons the gf wouldn't use it.

I'm not so worried or disappointed that it's not shipping with ICS. Are any of you, really? The GN isn't even out yet. Wasn't that suppose to be the first ICS device (or perhaps, phone?) Besides, I'm going to enjoy flash while I can - when ICS comes I may not upgrade until Adobe's got everything worked out.

Thanks for everything, Phil. Oh btw Asus wants you to ship that Prime back. The address is in my account information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez