How is the Prime in sunlight?

mgftp

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I am new to the tablet world but think I am ready to jump in this summer and finally get one. I have heard good things about the prime and have used transformers so that is why I am leaning that way and posting here.

My big question is how is the screen in the sun? Is there a certain specification to look at for this and compare to other tablets? How does it compare? Also, without having to wait forever, is there another tablet slated for release shortly that I should be waiting for? Thanks

False_Aesop

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
The Transformer Prime has Super IPS+ mode, which deserves all the supers and the plusses. While it does increase draw on the battery turning it on (easily accessible from the notification bar so from any app) makes the tablet blaze like the sun, and indeed makes it perfectly useable in direct sunlight.

I'm not sure how it compares to other tablets in the sunlight, since I've only owned the Prime, but I can tell you that it does work in sunlight.

As to what eles is on the horrizon the ASUS Transformer tf300 which is released this month has a regular IPS screen. I haven't seen it in life in the AC review Jerry calls it "great" as opposed to the Prime's "amazing" screen. I do not know how well it works in direct sunlight. It is $100 cheaper then the Prime and the lower powered screen and processors are part of that.

What will be the step up from the Prime, the ASUS Transformer Infinity tf 700 will presumablty have a comparable if not better display and a higher powered processor, but we have yet to get any kind of release date on it.

Reactions: mgftp

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
A note about IPS+

From what I've read it's just an artificial governor on the brightness to save battery. Meaning, when ON, the devices is "allowed" to go to 100% brightness but 100% is really like 70% when it's OFF.

That's not to say it's not a valuable feature. But I find it a bit cumbersome. I'd rather just rock a full 0-100% on brightness and pick what works for me in whatever light condition I'm in. Less button clicks for the same result in my opinion.

Most custom ROMs drop that feature though so it works for me :)

I agree though, this tablet is awesome in direct sunlight.

ShelJW

May 5, 2011
Visit site
A note about IPS+

From what I've read it's just an artificial governor on the brightness to save battery. Meaning, when ON, the devices is "allowed" to go to 100% brightness but 100% is really like 70% when it's OFF.

I'd rather just rock a full 0-100% on brightness and pick what works for me in whatever light condition I'm in. Less button clicks for the same result in my opinion.

I'd disagree, but that's why Baskin and Robbins makes 31 flavors!

I happen to prefer having an on/off button for the ISP+

If I'm not concerned about battery life, I generally simply set my phone/tablet/laptop to full brightness.

On the Transformer Prime, I find I really don't NEED ISP+ for general use, either indoors, or even most times outdoors.

If I happen to be outdoors in bright sunlight, and can't view the screen, I can easily tap the notification bar, then tap ISP+ and poof! the screen increases brightness.

I guess I find it's just an easy way to remind me NOT to use ISP+, if I don't really need it (and frankly, most of the time, I don't need the extra brightness)

However, regardless of if there's a seperate ISP+ button or not, the ability to turn the Prime's screen way up to allow easy viewing outdoors, in bright sunlight, is a GREAT feature NOT found in the new iPad, or most other Android tablets!

Kudos to Asus for putting it in the TP. (bummer it's not a feature with the new TF300's)

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I'd disagree, but that's why Baskin and Robbins makes 31 flavors!

I happen to prefer having an on/off button for the ISP+

If I'm not concerned about battery life, I generally simply set my phone/tablet/laptop to full brightness.

On the Transformer Prime, I find I really don't NEED ISP+ for general use, either indoors, or even most times outdoors.

If I happen to be outdoors in bright sunlight, and can't view the screen, I can easily tap the notification bar, then tap ISP+ and poof! the screen increases brightness.

I guess I find it's just an easy way to remind me NOT to use ISP+, if I don't really need it (and frankly, most of the time, I don't need the extra brightness)

However, regardless of if there's a seperate ISP+ button or not, the ability to turn the Prime's screen way up to allow easy viewing outdoors, in bright sunlight, is a GREAT feature NOT found in the new iPad, or most other Android tablets!

Kudos to Asus for putting it in the TP. (bummer it's not a feature with the new TF300's)

And that is why Android is cool. Those that like the feature can make use of it. Those that do not, like me, have the option to change it by using a custom ROM or hacking something. I agree though, max brightness is pretty damn bright and too bright for most use cases.

I was just trying to point out that IPS+ isn't some fancy screen technology designed to bolster performance outdoor. It's just an option to govern the brightness to save battery when indoors. That's not a bad thing, just trying to help people understand what's happening there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress