Android 4.1 - TF201 Official Update

eklisiewicz

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I have never used other ROMs. I am not even sure how to do that, though I have the ROM manager app. And my tablet isn't exactly running smoothly. Gmail crashes all the time, and my launcher app is unstable.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

frankles42

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
got my update installed this afternoon... seems to be running alright. maybe a little faster than it was on stock ICS. google now is pretty slick though

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I have never used other ROMs. I am not even sure how to do that, though I have the ROM manager app. And my tablet isn't exactly running smoothly. Gmail crashes all the time, and my launcher app is unstable.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Okay, so, you are just rooted then? You could always try unrooting. Then get the update.

Wait, now you sound like.you got the update. I thought you said it failed the update?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Android Central Forums

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Yup, I had the "Check your notifs message" but I don't have any update in the notif bar. It could be the wifi I'm on, I think the firewall is a little trigger-happy, I'll try again when I get home tonight.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums
After swapping wifi, the update was found and is now installing without issue.

iamthemessenger

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I am happy to say that the Jelly Bean fixed my biggest frustration with my Transformer Prime. You couldn't play video purchased or rented from the Google Play store on a big screen through the HDMI cable. Only the audio worked. Jelly Bean fixed this problem! This is HUGE! It should probably go on the list of new features in Jelly Bean, as I know many others were pretty ticked about this one.

If anyone is wondering what the heck I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w7JMErf_g0&feature=g-hist

wolfgaze

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
It's making my Prime run nice and smooth. But, if you are running another ROM, that issue might have been fixed for you already.

---------- Post Merged at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:42 PM ----------

Yea, I'm having the issue, can still select text on touchscreen, but, not with keyboard in some places. Works fine in Drive, but, not in website text boxes.

---------- Post Merged at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:42 PM ----------

Seems to be limited to the stock browser though. Just reproduced the test in Chrome and it was fine highlighting in text boxes.

Thanks for confirming. The other thing I noticed is that my Backspace key on the dock will randomly stop working. It's almost like the text window becomes inactive for that key. What you have to do is tap the text area to get that blue triangle to reappear and then the backspace key will regain it's funcationality for a brief period of time before the process repeats itself.

I'm new to these forums and have only had my TF201 for about 3 months. In your experience will a fix or update likely be created to address these bugs? I'm not all that in the loop about OS updates and how this process usualy plays out in terms of correcting/addressing bugs.

Thanks again.

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
At the beginning of the prime's life updates were coming thick and fast, they've tapered off quite a bit, but I would say that (especially if this affects the infinity as well) we will get a fix definitely before thanksgiving, and if we're lucky (and this affects a large portion of the users) we could get another before Halloween.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Maybe, maybe not. Unless they find these bugs, or, someone tells them about it, they wont. If these things concern you, you could make a list, and, shoot them an email. Or, I think Asus has forums, you might be able to find a bug thread over there and post them. I'm sure it's feedback that they want, ya know?

---------- Post Merged at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:34 PM ----------

At the beginning of the prime's life updates were coming thick and fast, they've tapered off quite a bit, but I would say that (especially if this affects the infinity as well) we will get a fix definitely before thanksgiving, and if we're lucky (and this affects a large portion of the users) we could get another before Halloween.

Yea, Asus really rocks with updates. I'm quite impressed. Now if they would only make phones. :'(

A buddy at work was trying to convince me we wouldn't see KLP on the Prime, probably just to annoy me though, lol. I don't see why not. I mean, at the rate they have been going with updates, I could see it.

iamthemessenger

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Did this update really come with project butter? Cause I'm still getting some stutter on the homescreen transitions. Eek. :-\ Just doesn't feel quite as "butter smooth" as my Gnex.

Anybody else?

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Maybe, maybe not. Unless they find these bugs, or, someone tells them about it, they wont. If these things concern you, you could make a list, and, shoot them an email. Or, I think Asus has forums, you might be able to find a bug thread over there and post them. I'm sure it's feedback that they want, ya know?

---------- Post Merged at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:34 PM ----------

Yea, Asus really rocks with updates. I'm quite impressed. Now if they would only make phones. :'(

A buddy at work was trying to convince me we wouldn't see KLP on the Prime, probably just to annoy me though, lol. I don't see why not. I mean, at the rate they have been going with updates, I could see it.

I kinda doubt it, I'm sure we'll get cyanogenmod, but the prime will be kinda old (much how the tf101 isn't getting jelly bean (are they? It's not announced but Asus)). I think the infinity will though (and maybe the tf300)

Edit: yup, its smoother, but still laggier than I would like.

eklisiewicz

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Devinator, let me clarify. Yesterday, it told me there was a firmware update available. I tried running the update, it rebooted, and then told me the update failed. Attempts to try and get the update again have also failed, based on my messages above. This morning, I went to the System Firmware Update setting, and it continues to say there is no update available. So I guess I am S.O.L. unless I return to stock. But it sounds like some people tried to do that from rooted Primes and are unable to get the update again. As for other ROMs, I have read about some of them, but I am not sure what the best ones are.

itsmekalyan

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
this is waht i got from XDA tried the sd card and it worked

Part 1: Restoring Tablet to Stock
1. Download the system dump that matches your current software:
WW - http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Eee...teLauncher.zip - MD5 - 68D41197B399967B7F6789E47683A0D7
US - http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Eee...teLauncher.zip - MD5 - DF17D3129378E9A7F81C58AF7BF5396B
TW - http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Eee...eLauncher.zip- MD5 - 3999B0E052211AA53ED1DB5D06A02AD3
2. Unzip the compressed firmware file to the root directory of a MicroSD card (external). Only extract this once so your sdcard should look something like this:
/MicroSD/US_epad-user-9.4.2.28.zip
3.With your Transformer turned on, insert the MicroSD into the MicroSD card slot.
4. An exclamation mark should appear in the notification area.
5. Tap the mark and proceed with the update.
6. Your tablet should now reboot and proceed to update the tablet, if you get an error try redownloading the update and trying again.

Part 2: Rooting your Tablet
Voodoo root keeper didn't save my root after part 1, so to root it I used Debugfs automated root:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1706588
After your tablet is rooted you should use OTA root keeper to backup your root.

Part 3: Manual Update to Jellybean
1.Download the dlpkgfile for your system, I uploaded the US file:
dlpkgfile
2. Place the dlpkgfile on your tablet's storage.
3. Download ES File manager and go to settings>root settings and tick all the boxes.
4. Copy dlpkgfile to /cache
5. Go to /cache/recovery and create a new file named command
6. Open the file as a text and place the following code in it and save:
--update_package=/cache/dlpkgfile
7. Turn off the tablet
8. Press and hold volume down+power until the tablet vibrates then release power and keep holding volume down
9 When a text shows on the boot logo screen release volume down and click volume up
10. The tablet should now start updating, it'll take about 30 minutes and once the tablet boots you'll have jellybean
11. Restore root with root keeper

This method should work for everyone with a locked bootloader

XDA URL : [How-To] Update to Jellybean if you're having problems with OTA - xda-developers

itsmekalyan

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
From XDA got below

Part 1: Restoring Tablet to Stock
1. Download the system dump that matches your current software:
WW - http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Eee...teLauncher.zip - MD5 - 68D41197B399967B7F6789E47683A0D7
US - http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Eee...teLauncher.zip - MD5 - DF17D3129378E9A7F81C58AF7BF5396B
TW - http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Eee...eLauncher.zip- MD5 - 3999B0E052211AA53ED1DB5D06A02AD3
2. Unzip the compressed firmware file to the root directory of a MicroSD card (external). Only extract this once so your sdcard should look something like this:
/MicroSD/US_epad-user-9.4.2.28.zip
3.With your Transformer turned on, insert the MicroSD into the MicroSD card slot.
4. An exclamation mark should appear in the notification area.
5. Tap the mark and proceed with the update.
6. Your tablet should now reboot and proceed to update the tablet, if you get an error try redownloading the update and trying again.

Part 2: Rooting your Tablet
Voodoo root keeper didn't save my root after part 1, so to root it I used Debugfs automated root:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1706588
After your tablet is rooted you should use OTA root keeper to backup your root.

Part 3: Manual Update to Jellybean
1.Download the dlpkgfile for your system, I uploaded the US file:
dlpkgfile
2. Place the dlpkgfile on your tablet's storage.
3. Download ES File manager and go to settings>root settings and tick all the boxes.
4. Copy dlpkgfile to /cache
5. Go to /cache/recovery and create a new file named command
6. Open the file as a text and place the following code in it and save:
--update_package=/cache/dlpkgfile
7. Turn off the tablet
8. Press and hold volume down+power until the tablet vibrates then release power and keep holding volume down
9 When a text shows on the boot logo screen release volume down and click volume up
10. The tablet should now start updating, it'll take about 30 minutes and once the tablet boots you'll have jellybean
11. Restore root with root keeper

This method should work for everyone with a locked bootloader

XDA URL [How-To] Update to Jellybean if you're having problems with OTA - xda-developers

dpwaters72

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Is there anyone else having constant reboot issues while using the keyboard dock? I was chatting on Google Talk this morning and experienced at least 5 different resets. Seems to be okay now that it is un-docked from the keyboard.

Note: My Prime was updated yesterday evening and I have rebooted it several time prior to this morning.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante