Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1348743532520.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1348743532520.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 104

wolfgaze

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Ugh, immediately after installing 4.1 I am noticing the following extremely annoying issue:

When inputting text on a forum webpage text entry box, I no longer have the ability to select and higlight text. Well I can select the text but it no longer highlights so I cannot see what I'm selecting! I use the Shift + Arrow keys to do this and not the mousepad. I can confirm I'm still selecting text because if can hit the delete key and see that I've selected multiple characters, but there is no blue background for me to see what's being selected. Usin the mouse pointer to select text will not show it highlighted either.

Here's the weird thing, if I'm typing characters in the URL address bar, I can select and highlight. I also tested this with Supernotes and the select & highlight works too.

Why would it just stop for regular online text entry? Can anyone else confirm that you are experiencing this after the update? Right now as I'm typing this I cannot select and highlight text (and visibly see what I'm selecting). Is this a known bug?

I hope there is a quick fix for this because I need to be able to utilize this function of the keyboard.

Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited:

enthuz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
It gave an error that it couldn't download. I rebooted and now it says that the update is available...check notifications...no notifications. how can I force the update?

UPDATE: Thanks to the following post on the front page of this forum for this news, I was able to update.

Theaxer says:
Update: So after awhile it found that there was an update (the update button never became responsive again, on its own it found the update). Unfortunately, I had restarted the tablet because I thought this would clear the issue with the button previously being not responsive. I think this caused an issue with the DMClient process (this must be related to the upgrade process) and the process would keep failing. To resolve this I went to Apps>All>DMClient and cleared the cache data. After clearing the data, the download started and everything else is going smoothly.

Last edited:

Pandawg

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Just finished downloading 4.1.1. Doesn't seem to look any different than ICS. Am I missing something? What's changed?

It should be very smooth now. Also for anyone who's updated, did you lose root when you did if you were rooted before?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
It gave an error that it couldn't download. I rebooted and now it says that the update is available...check notifications...no notifications. how can I force the update?

It was like that for me for about an hour. Button was greyed out. I had another very large downloading going, so, I decided I would reboot when it was done. After about an hour, I brought up my notifications to see how far the download was, and, the update popped up in the notifications and started downloading.

mbhweiss

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Downloaded, installed, and booted w/o problems (my TF201 is not rooted). The upgrade took a fair bit of time, so be sure you have enough battery life or are on AC power during the upgrade.

First impressions:
1. Some applications (e.g. TED, Tweetdeck) boot veeery slowly after the update
2. It does seem smoother, but it wasn't the case immediately after the update (even after rebooting)

Bottom line ... I wouldn't necessarily rush to do the update. Time will tell ...

swyost

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I wish Google would spend less time coming up with stupid names for its OS upgrades and actually properly finish one. I installed it to give this device one more shot to be a more useful mobile option. Yes, apps do "pop" on the screen more quickly but I have yet to find one that is actually useable any faster than before. The appearance is faster but the functional lag is still there. It also now takes nearly twice as long to boot the tablet. The fact is that as much as I have criticized the BlackBerry Playbook in the past (I do own one), its OS responsiveness on out-of-date hardware runs circles around my quad-core Prime. If it had any sort of a useable app selection, I would have no hesitation using it on a regular basis. Excuse the short rant - I can assure people there will not be another. The Prime is just going to go in the bedroom so that I can watch Netflix if I can't sleep. Beyond that I am not wasting any more time with it or any other Android tablet, and will check out the Windows RT tablets at the end of the month. I still view tablets as the mobile solution for me in the future but I will not buy an Apple product and (from my perspective) Android remains a poorly optimized, buggy excuse for an OS....

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
2. It does seem smoother, but it wasn't the case immediately after the update (even after rebooting)

My UI is running a bit choppy, so, I hope you are right. Don't have much time to mess with it right now, so, hopefully by the time I can, it'll be running smoother. Gonna give it a reboot too, just in case.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
UI is running smooth after reboot. Literally just said, "ohhh, snappy," out loud. Lol. If it fixes my intermittent app lockups, I'll be very pleased.

mbhweiss

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Update: It seems to run a good bit snappier with time (and after another reboot). Even apps that were slow to start are now opening quicker. I am wondering if 4.1.1 has to build some data structures after it uploads before it achieves its full potential.

Update: I take back my skepticism above. It is a definite performance improvement over ICS

Last edited:

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. I have two Google Accounts on my Prime. Account A's calendar was set to sync before the update, but, not B's. After the update. B's calendar was set to sync, but, not A's. That's kinda random.

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. I have two Google Accounts on my Prime. Account A's calendar was set to sync before the update, but, not B's. After the update. B's calendar was set to sync, but, not A's. That's kinda random.
Hmm, that's weird. Why would that happen?

A-android-B

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Just finished downloading 4.1.1. Doesn't seem to look any different than ICS. Am I missing something? What's changed?

Jb is pretty much the same UI as ics. Most of the upgrades are behind the scenes and security inside the os got a much needed improvement.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

Mikey D_PhD

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I finally got to a good wifi spot. Update took about 20 minutes or so from beginning of download to restart. All seems good. Definitely seems a bit speedier. Haven't noticed any issues so far. Sideloaded flash player, JIC. Glad to see that ASUS is keeping us in the loop.

"He didn't fall? Inconceivable".
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means".

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
You have to reboot at least once after the actual update. There's an optimization that needs to run.

Everything is much, much, faster than before. Program open in a snap now. Some of the hanging and pausing in Chrome and other apps is still there, but not as frequent. Just installed it, so I'll have to use it a lot more before I can get a sense of that.

So far, so good.

ETA: spoke too soon. Pocket reads one article and then will not open any other articles until the program is shut down and restarted. Uninstall and reinstall did not help. I hope the devs update it soon.

Last edited:

jordo487

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I keep getting told to check my internet connection whenever I try to check for updates. All other internet related stuff works great. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty