Official Android update: tablet now almost unusable

Athena Wilson

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Purchased MemoPad 10 a year ago, loved it, worked great. Three days ago I received not one, but two, Android update notifications, one immediately after the other; I allowed both of them. Since that time, my tablet acts as if it is receiving random information from the touch screen. When I touch the screen (and it makes *no* difference if I am using my finger or a stylus), it may react appropriately, or it may not respond at all, or it may respond to a tap as if I held it, or it may respond to holding it as if I tapped it. Drawing across the screen, it may respond correctly, or it may act as if I didn't touch it, or as if I tapped it, and so on. At one point, I closed all aps, and walked away, and when I looked back, it had opened the weather ap, EVEN THOUGH I WAS NOWHERE NEAR IT. I closed the ap, 2 seconds later it opened again...I closed it again, 2 seconds later it opened again...it kept this up until I powered it off and back on again. I have repeatedly cleaned the screen with a commercial monitor cleaner to no avail. I contacted Asus "tech support" (which turned out to be "Customer support") and got a non-English speaker who didn't seem to understand my question about rolling back the OS, and suggested sending it back to the factory for "repairs". I am reading about an update from KitKat to Lollipop causing tablets to become "unusable", and this certainly qualifies. Please advise.

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Try wiping the cache partition (this won't delete your data, apps, etc) and see if that helps.

If not, you may have to do a full factory reset (which WILL delete everything, so backup anything you need)....things can get a little buggy when after you do an update.

Athena Wilson

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
The day after I posted this, Asus issued another Android update. This improved things, a bit, perhaps 10 to 20%, but didn't eliminate all the problems. I am waiting to see if they issue any further updates. In the meantime, can you direct me to instructions on wiping the cache partition for the MemoPad 10? (The touch screen is a *bit* more reliable, with the odd exception of the upper right corner of the screen, which is incredibly difficult to get to operate at all.)

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
These are the steps for the Nexus 7 (also by Asus), should be the same procress:
To wipe the cache partition, follow these steps:

Turn off the device.
Press and hold the Volume Down and Power keys at the same time for about 10 seconds.
An image of an Android lying on its back will appear.
Press the Volume Down key twice until "Recovery mode" appears on the screen.
Press the Power key to restart in "Recovery mode."
An image of an Android with a red triangle will appear.
Press the Power key and Volume Up keys simultaneously.
Use the Volume keys to scroll to "wipe data cache partition" and press the Power key to select.

JSQ

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I have been having issues as well. tried clearing my cache and it showed the android lying on its back, however it said "no command". I have done dozens of cache wipes on numerous devices and have never seen this.