ROG Phone 3 question.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
One thing for sure Mooncat ears must be ringing
Sorry, other discussions ringing my ears more than this today. Lol.

As for the phone, the ROG phones historically have not worked on Verizon without jumping through some hoops. At best, you could activate it as a data only device, then use something like Google Voice to handle phone calls. You'll also be left without Wi-Fi calling, possibly 911 access, and I'm sure other quirks. I was all set to get the second version, but that, plugs Asus' lack of any customer service turned me away. I wouldn't expect things to be any different this time around. For U.S. carriers in general, I think it was most compatible with TMO and AT&T, though not as well as a carrier branded device.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

As for the phone, the ROG phones historically have not worked on Verizon without jumping through some hoops. At best, you could activate it as a data only device, then use something like Google Voice to handle phone calls. You'll also be left without Wi-Fi calling, possibly 911 access, and I'm sure other quirks. I was all set to get the second version, but that, plugs Asus' lack of any customer service turned me away. I wouldn't expect things to be any different this time around. For U.S. carriers in general, I think it was most compatible with TMO and AT&T, though not as well as a carrier branded device.
I thought you bought one the ROG 2 but now that I think about it, it was a different device.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I thought you bought one the ROG 2 but now that I think about it, it was a different device.
I went with the Razer Phone 2, which was a gaming phone as well. It was rather clunky and not a good user experience.
I can't help it if you spell Mooncat incorrectly
It's part of a full character name, anagramed from my real name. I had an extra "T" to spare and made it unique enough to use most places. Would you rather Mooncat1842837427?

customshopkv1

Feb 26, 2020
Visit site

Thanks for the information. The specifications for ROG-PHONE-3 seem to be pretty solid.
@mustang7757 and @Mike Dee couldn't spell your name correctly cause they were too busy playing grab *** in here.

customshopkv1

Feb 26, 2020
Visit site
Someone wrote up some pros and cons

**Pros**

* Slightly toned-down, but still ROG-inspired gamer's design with great build quality.
* Backwards compatibility with many of the ROG Phone II accessories.
* AirTigger 3 ultrasonic touch sensors are very precise and versatile.
* Rich retail package, including 30W charger and AeroActive 3 cooler.
* Superb AMOLED screen with HDR10+ (true 10-bit), 144Hz refresh rate.
* Great battery life, even at full 144Hz. Rich battery health prolonging options.
* Industry-leading speaker performance, complete with gaming-specific sound tweaks.
* Fastest-available Snapdragon 865+ chipset, rich performance tweaks. Blazing-fast LPDDR5 RAM and UFS 3.1 storage.
* Clean underlying Android ROM, with an unparalleled number of well-organized game tweaking, control-mapping and performance option.
* Unrivaled accessory ecosystem.
* Solid daylight photos, as well as low-light images.
* Very good video quality, impressive EIS.

**Cons**

* No water or dust resistance.
* No microSD, no 3.5mm jack
* The beta software we tested still has a few kinks
* Rather basic camera setup, compared to typical 2020 flagships. HDR needs some extra work

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith